Decontamination and Remediation Technologies
FCH-MA_ENG3Ak. rok: 2021/2022
The content of the subject is information about sources of long-term and short-term soil pollution (anthropogenic activities – mining, agricultural activities, industry). Procedures for assessing the environmental burden and risk analysis are also presented. Main groups of contaminants of the rock environment from the perspective of decontamination methods. Basic classification of decontamination methods according to the site and the environment they are focused on. Decontamination procedures using natural mechanisms. Physical methods of decontamination (evaporation, extraction, scrubbing, etc.). Mechanical methods (removal of the affected layer, covering). Chemical, biochemical and microbial decontamination processes. Examples of use of decontamination technologies in specific contaminated areas.
Nabízen zahradničním studentům
Výsledky učení předmětu
Students will learn about the main sources of contamination of individual environmental compartments and major environmental contaminants. Students will learn about mechanisms of contamination of individual environmental compartments. Based on this knowledge, they will understand the methods and principles of each type of decontamination and will be able to suggest basic decontamination procedure and methods.
basics of general, organic and physical chemistry
Doporučená nebo povinná literatura
David L. Russell (2011). Remediation Manual for Contaminated Sites, 1st Edition, CRC Press, ISBN 9781439836224, 256 pp (EN)
Helmut Meuser (2013). Soil Remediation and Rehabilitation: Treatment of Contaminated and Disturbed Land (Environmental Pollution) 2013th Edition Springer; ISBN-13: 978-9400757509, 408 pp (EN)
Plánované vzdělávací činnosti a výukové metody
Lecture – 2 teaching hours per week, seminars – 3 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Způsob a kritéria hodnocení
Written exam. In case of unclear answers, an oral test is followed to clarify them.
1) Introduction to the problematics of old ecological burdens. Definition of remediation and decontamination, general principles of decontamination procedures.
2) Legal aspects of old ecological burdens, risk analysis and survey of contaminated territory, risk assessment in connection with decontamination work.
3) Terminology connected with problematic of decontamination. Main groups of contaminants and their properties from the perspective of decontamination technologies.
4) Basic classification of decontamination methods.
5) Methods for decontamination of the rock environment - overview. Contaminated soil - definition and basic characteristics.
6) Natural methods of decontamination with a focus on biological methods in situ - basic classification and principles of biological methods. Bioventing and phytosanation.
7) Physical and mechanical methods of decontamination and remediation in situ; vitrification, stabilization, solidification, encapsulation – description, principles.
8) Chemical methods of decontamination in situ; classification and basic characteristics. Oxidation reduction methods.
9) Overview of decontamination methods used for contaminated soil ex situ; biological, chemical, physical methods – principles, description.
10) Decontamination methods of main pollutants of the rock environment - of PCBs, PAHs, oil products etc.
11) Groundwater decontamination; basic methods used for decontamination in situ and ex situ. Non-Aqueous Phase Liquids – definition, problems connected with their removal.
12) Groundwater decontamination – methods used in situ. Treatment walls.
13) New directions in decontamination technologies; nanoparticles, membranes etc.
The aim of the subject is to acquaint students with the legislative framework of soil protection. Provide comprehensive information concerning the problematics of contaminated areas. Explain the process of risk analysis of contaminated territory and reasons of survey that precedes the decontamination process. Provide basic information of principles of conventional and modern decontamination methods focused on rock environment with the emphasis on polluted soils.
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění a formy nahrazování zameškané výuky
Presence on seminars is compulsory