Mathematical Modelling of Electrical Power Systems
FEKT-DKA-EE1Acad. year: 2022/2023
Methods of mathematical modelling and calculation of state electrical power systems.
Steady state and transients.
Power system control
FACTS – flexible control of power systems.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The basic knowledges of methods for steady and transients calculation in power systems.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Wood. A.J., Wollenberg, B.F., Sheblé, G.B. Power Generation, Operation, and Control, 3rd Edition, Willey 2013, 656p., ISBN: 978-0-471-79055-6 (EN)
Eremia, m., Shahidehpour, M. Handbook of Electrical Power System Dynamics: Modeling, Stability, and Control, Willey 2013, 976p. ISBN: 978-1-118-51606-5 (EN)
Haginomori, E., Koshiduka, T., Arai, J., Ikeda, H. Power System Transient Analysis: Theory and Practice using Simulation Programs (ATP-EMTP), Willey 2016, 280p., ISBN: 978-1-118-73745-3 (EN)
Sun, K., Hou, Y., Sun, W., Qi, J. Power System Control Under Cascading Failures: Understanding, Mitigation, and System Restoration, Willey 2018, 432p., ISBN: 978-1-119-28206-8 (EN)
Eremia, M., Liu Ch., Edris, A. Advanced Solutions in Power Systems: HVDC, FACTS, and Artificial Intelligence, Willey, 2016, 1072p., ISBN: 978-1-119-17535-3 (EN)
Sauer, P.W., Pai, M.A., Chow, J.H. Power System Dynamics and Stability: With Synchrophasor Measurement and Power System Toolbox, 2nd Edition, Willey 2017, 376p., ISBN: 978-1-119-35574-8 (EN)
Momoh, J.A. Energy Processing and Smart Grid, Willey 2018, ISBN: 978-1-119-37623-1 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Subject is finished with examination.
Language of instruction
1. Mathematical modelling of electrical power systems - introduction.
2. Interconnected power systems, power exchange schedules.
3. The methods of load flow calculations for power systems analysis.
4. Three-phase load flow of unbalanced power systems using multiports.
5. Fault system studies of short circuits currents.
6. Simultaneous faults calculation.
7. Power system stability.
8. Electromagnetical transients. Linear equivalent derived from the trapezoidal rule.
9. Calculation tools (PSCAD, EMTP-ATP, Matlab Simulink).
10. Frequency and power flow control.
11. Voltage and reactive power flow control.
12. Flexible AC transmission systems (FACTS).
13. Optimisation and security assessment of the power systems.
To obtain extended knowledge of mathematical modelling and calculation of electroenergetics systems.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme DKA-KAM Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-EKT Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-MET Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-SEE Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-TLI Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-TEE Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer