Junctions and Nanostructures
FEKT-DKA-FY1Acad. year: 2022/2023
Quantum Mechanics essentials. The interfaces: semiconductor A-semiconductor B, semiconductor-metal, semiconductor-metal interface. Depletion layer, properties. Transport of carriers through the interface. Photovoltaic phenomena. Noise in semiconductors. Limits for structures miniaturization. Principal limits by Quantum and Statistical Physics.
Offered to foreign students
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Recommended optional programme components
Colinge, J.-P., Colinge, C.A.: Physics of Semiconductor Devices, Kluwer 2002, ISBN 1-40207-018-7. (EN)
Poole, Ch.P. Jr., Owens, F.J. Introduction to Nanotechnology, Wiley Interscience, 2003, ISBN 0-471-07935-9. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
0-80 points final exam
Language of instruction
2. Special theory of relativity (Michelson-Morley experiment, Galileo and Lorentz transformation, Lorentz-FitzGerald contraction, time dilatation and other consequences).
3. Particle properties of waves (thermal radiation, quantum light theory, photoelectric effect, Compton effect, X-ray diffraction).
4. Wave properties of particles (duality principle, de Broglie wave, group and phase velocity, wave function, particle diffraction, uncertainty principle, John Wheeler's experiment).
5. Quantum mechanics (wave function, Schrödinger equation, Eigen values and functions, medium value operators, solution of the particle in the potential trap, Schrödinger's paradox).
6. Problems in quantum mechanics (degree of potential energy, harmonic oscillator, tunneling, resonant tunneling, quantum dot).
7. Quantum description of the hydrogen atom (SR for the hydrogen atom, quantum numbers, Zeeman effect, Stark effect, Bohr model).
8. Multi-electron atoms (electron configuration, Hund's rule, atomic spectra).
9. Energy states and energy band theories.
10. Interface (homogeneous and heterogeneous transitions in semiconductors, semiconductor-metal, semiconductor-insulator, Poisson equation, typical electron traps, state density).
11. Interface semiconductor-metal, semiconductor-insulator.
12. Nanoelectronics and charge transport (quantum conductivity, Coulomb Blocking and oscillation, Hall's phenomena).
13. Excursion to Thermo Fisher Scientific (FEI Czech Republic s.r.o.).
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme DKA-KAM Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-EKT Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-MET Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-SEE Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-TLI Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-TEE Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
Teacher / Lecturer