Physical Chemistry II
FCH-BAA_FCH2Acad. year: 2020/2021
Reaction rate, reactions of 1. and 2.order, reactions of higher order, kinetics of simultaneous reactions, temperature dependence of reaction rate, Eyring theory, chain and photochemical reactions, theory of homogeneous and heterogeneous reactions, physical chemistry of surfaces, thermodynamics of interface, theory of wetting, adsorption - Gibbs equation, adsorption on mobile and solide interfaces, characterization of colloid dispersions, stability of colloid dispersitions, electric double layer, molecular-kinetic properties of disperse systems-sedimentation, osmotic pressure, Donnan equilibrium, optical and rheological properties of disperse systems. geles , emulsions, suspensions, aerodisperse systems
Offered to foreign students
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Recommended optional programme components
Kello V., Tkáč A.: Fyzikálna chémia, Alfa, Bratislava 1977 (EN)
Atkins P. W.: Physical Chemistry. Oxford University Press, 1998 (EN)
Bartovská L., Šišková M.: Fyzikální chemie povrchů a koloidních soustav. VŠCHT v Praze, Praha 2002 (EN)
Lisý M., Valko L.: Príklady a úlohy z fyzikálnej chémie, Alfa Bratislava, 1979 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
2. Exam: Written test, composed of answers to 5 questions. This written part can possibly be combined with oral examination
Language of instruction
2. Determination of reaction order. Reversible, parallel and consecutive reactions.
3. Influence of the temperature on reaction rate. Collision theory. Transition state theory.
4. Reactions in solution. Theory of homogeneous catalysis. Enzyme catalysis.
5. Chain reactions. Photochemical reactions. Diffusion.
6. Kinetics of heterogeneous reactions.
7. Classification of dispersed systems. Distribution functions. Thermodynamics of interface - free and total surface energy.
8. Theory of wetting. Adhesion and cohesion work. Curved interfaces.
9. Theory of adsorption - Gibbs equation of adsorption isotherm. Adsorption on liquid surface, adsorption on solid surface.
10. Electrokinetic phenomena, theory of electrical double layer. Colloidal disperse systems, their division and preparation.Lyophilic and lyophobic colloids. Association colloids.
11. Molecular-kinetic properties of colloidal systems - Brownian motion, diffusion. Sedimentation and osmotic pressure of colloidal disperse systems. Donnan equilibrium.
12. Stability of colloidal disperse systems. Coagulation, floculation. Optical propperties and viscosity of colloidal disperse systems.
13. Gels, their division and properties. Basic characteristics of emulsions and suspensions.
14. Aerodisperse systems.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
1. Reaction rate
2. Reactions of I. order
3. Reactions of II. and higher orders
4. Complex reactions
5. Temperature dependence of reaction rate, theory of activation complex
6. Determination of reaction order, enzyme kinetics
7. Carakterization of dispersion colloidal systems.
8. Thermodynamics of interface.
9. Curved interfaces.
11. Membrane equilibria
12. Viscosity of dispersed systems.