English for Bachelors 2
FEKT-BPC-AN4Acad. year: 2020/2021
A standard course of English for intermediate students orientated on both general and technical English. An integrated approach is applied during teaching this course. After a grammar section with many tasks highlighting the new grammar, there is at least one activity for speaking, listening, reading and writing in every unit. There is a strong lexical component in the course. Technical texts are subject specific but the teacher's objective is teaching language, not subject knowledge.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to:
- Use a wide range of vocabulary
- Apply newly acquired knowledge of grammar
- Understand, analyze, translate, paraphrase texts
- Understand, analyze, translate, paraphrase listenings
- Understand, follow and actively participate in simple conversations
Knowledge of all language skills on at least A2 CEFR level is required prior enterring the course. For more detailed specifications please refer to Common European Framework of Refference for Languages (CEFR)
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
K. Harding and A. Lane - International Express Intermediate, 3rd Edition, Student´s Book OUP, ISBN: 978-0-19-441825-6
Elektronické texty k předmětu.
Cotton, Falvey. Kent - Market Leader Intermediate 3rd Edition (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include language seminars and homework. Students have to actively participate in classes.
Compulsory seminar are held every week and students are obliged to fulfill achievements as part of their homestudy.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
75% attendance and active participation at classes, fulfilment of given assignments.
40% - semester test - evaluates the level of knowledge one has acquiered during the semester
30% - reading - evaluates and asseses the abilities to work with a written text, abilities to analyze, synthetize, paraphrase, organize and reproduce information from the text
30% - listening - evaluates and asseses the abilities to understand spoken English, abilities to analyze, synthetize, paraphrase, organize and reproduce information from the listening
During the CoVID-19 pandemic both the Semester test and the exam may be subject to electronic (online) form of evaluation.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, Revision
2. Past sp., past cont., Past perf.
3. Giving presentations, describing problems and finding solutions
4. Conditionals: Zero, 1st and 2nd
5. Money and finance, emails, discussing and reaching agreements
6. Passives: Present sp., present cont. present perf sp., past sp., will
7. Product journey vocab., Time management, Checking understanding and clarifying
8. Relative clauses
9. Job interviews, describing personal qualities at work, changing plans
10. 3rd Conditional, should have/shouldn´t have
11. Gerund VS. Infinitive, Changing careers, teleconferencing
12. Technical text, revision
13. Semester test
The course provides students not only with knowledge of general English, but also with the vocabulary, grammar, and functions necessary to become operational in professional and social situations.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
The course takes over 13 weeks in the form of language exercises. Attendance at seminars is compulsory (75 %). Absence must be properly apologized. During CoVID pandemic, in reasonable cases, the frontal form of education may be substituted by an online form.
During CoVID-19 pandemic the form of education may be subject to change and be altered to online form.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
- Programme BPC-AMT Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-BTB Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-IBE Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-SEE Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-TLI Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-STC Bachelor's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional
, 3. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional