Finite Element Method - ANSYS Classic
FSI-ZSY-AAcad. year: 2017/2018
Solving problems in mechanics of the continuum. Variational formulation of FEM. Algorithm of FEM. Basic equation and its solution. Finite element types. Convergence and error estimation. Solving nonlinear problems. ANSYS Classic software system - solving of practical problems. User interface, preprocessing - modelling of geometry, discretization, solution, postprocessing - presentation and analysis of results.
Offered to foreign students
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Recommended optional programme components
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Type of course unit
Teacher / Lecturer
2. Ilustration of FEM on 1D problem. Equilibrium equations in FEM. Link elements. Beam elements.
3. Solid elements - introduction, linear tetrahedral elements.
Solid elements - isoparametric elements; element type selection, free and mapped mesh, discretization of load.
4. Direct and iterative solvers in FEM. Shell elements.
5. Nonlinear problems I. - contact analysis. Nonlinear problems II. - geometrical and material nonlinearity. Convergence and error estimation. Adaptive mesh (h-method, p-method).
Teacher / Lecturer
2. Modelling of 2D geometry.
3. Modelling of 3D geometry.
4. Link elements transferring tension and compression (2D and 3D analysis).
5. Beam elements (2D and 3D analysis). Gravity load.
6. Stress and strain analysis in 2D.
7. Stress and strain analysis in 3D.
8. Stress and strain analysis of machine part with notch.
9. Shell elements, stress analysis of T-shape pipeline (thin-walled construction).
10. Contact of the ball with flat bottom - creation of computational model.
11. Contact of the ball with flat bottom - solution and analysis of results.
12. Advanced contact analyses (e.g. press-fit joint). Principles of APDL.