Modern electronic circuit design
FEKT-DKC-RE1Acad. year: 2021/2022
Students become familiar with advanced methods for computer modeling of electronic circuits (steady-state calculation, approximate symbolic analysis, circuits with transmission-lines, signal integrity analysis in discrete and integrated applications, modeling of systems with fractional-order elements, methods of parameter variability analysis in electronic systems); analog integrated circuit design (basic elements of CMOS technology, design of basic cells, analysis of special problems - ESD protection, latch-up, EMC of integrated circuits); circuit optimization (formulation of objective function, local and global methods, multicriterial problems).
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Recommended optional programme components
DEB, K. Multi-objective optimization. In Search methodologies. Boston: Springer, 2014, pp. 403-449. ISBN: 978-1-461-46939-1. (CS)
NAJM, F.N. Circuit Simulation. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-IEEE Press; 2010. ISBN: 978-0-4705-3871-5. (CS)
BALANIS, C. A. Antenna theory: analysis and design. 4th ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2016. ISBN 978-1-118-64206-1. (CS)
STUMPF, M. Electromagnetic reciprocity in antenna theory. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2017. ISBN 978-1-119-46640-6. (CS)
RUSS, S. H. Signal Integrity: Applied Electromagnetics and Professional Practice. Springer, 2016. ISBN: 978-3-319-29758-3. (CS)
AZAR, T., RADWAN, A. G., and VAIDYANATHAN, S. Fractional Order Systems: Optimization, Control, Circuit Realizations and Applications. Academic Press, 2018. ISBN: 978-0-128-16152-4. (CS)
ZJAJO, A.: Stochastic Process Variation in Deep-Submicron CMOS: Circuits and Algorithms. New York: Springer, 2014. ISBN 978-94-007-7781-1. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
- Modeling of electronic devices.
- Methods for solution in DC, AC, and time domains. Simulation accuracy, convergence problems.
- Computation of steady state in time, frequency, and combined domains. Methods for approximate symbolic analysis and their utilization.
- Methods for simulation of circuits with transmission lines. Utilization for analysis of signal integrity in discrete and integrated applications.
- Modeling and simulation of systems with fractional-order elements. Application in circuits with lumped parameters (filters, oscillators, PID controllers) and distributed parameters (transmission lines).
- Methods of parameter variability analysis in electronic systems (Monte Carlo, polynomial-chaos expansion, stochastic differential equation approach).
6. Basic theorems for lumped and distributed circuits
- Mathematical description of transmitting and receiving antenna system.
- Introduction to the reciprocity theorem and its applications. Reciprocity between receiving and transmitting states of antenna (construction of the Kirchhoff equivalent circuit of receiving antenna, power theorem of reciprocity, conditions of antenna matching).
7.-10. Analog integrated circuit design
- Basic network elements. Specifics of CMOS technology, parasitic elements, manufacturing tolerance.
- Building blocks of integrated circuits. Current mirrors, amplifier stages. Analysis of operation and parasitic properties.
- Methodology of design basic blocks, analytical model and it solution. Case study of an transconductance operating amplifier.
- Simulation of special problems: ESD protection, latch-up, EMC of integrated circuits.
11.-13. Circuit optimization
- Classification of optimization problems (local and global, single- and multiple-criteria, etc.). Formulation of criterial function, local optimization methods (steepest descent, Newton method).
- Global optimization methods for single-criteria functions (simplex method, genetic algorithms, particle-swarm methods, self-organizing and migrating algorithms).
- Formulation of multi-criteria optimization problems, aggregation methods for transformation to single-criteria problems, multi-criteria algorithms (NSGA-II, MOPSO, MOSOMA).
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme DKC-KAM Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKC-EKT Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme DKC-MET Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKC-SEE Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKC-TLI Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKC-TEE Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional