Measurement in Electrical Engineering
FEKT-BPC-MVEAcad. year: 2021/2022
The course deals with the issue of measurement of electrical and non-electrical quantities partly in electrical engineering. The emphasis is compared to the level of knowledge in this field, the practical work of measuring instruments and procedures for data processing. Applies to these locations:
The classification of instruments for measuring electrical quantities. Principles of correct measurement. Analog measurement electrical quantities. Recorders and analog oscilloscopes. Digital oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers. Time, frequency and phase. Instruments for measuring current performance. Apparatus for measuring passive el. variables. Measurement of parts, circuits and systems. Imaging characteristics. Tester semiconductor devices. Generators for measurement of properties. Automation of measurement. Measurement of magnetic and other variables.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Absovent is able to:
- Know the principles of electrical measuring instruments
- Know the principles of methods for measuring voltage, current, power, work, resistance, capacitance inductance
- Use electrical measuring instruments
- Design and implement measurement of electrical quantities
- Know the procedures for processing the measured data and their evaluation
- Make qualified conclusions about the specific measurement
Students must have a knowledge of physics, mathematics and electrical circuits at the level of the 1st year Bachelor studies.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
BEJČEK, L., ČEJKA, M., REZ, J., GESCHEIDTOVÁ, E., STEINBAUER, M. Měření v elektrotechnice. Měření v elektrotechnice. VUT- FEKT, 2002. (CS)
COOMBS,C.F.: Basic Electronic Instruments Handbook ,McGraw-Hill (EN)
COOMBS,C.F. Electronic Instrument Handbook, 3rd edition. McGraw-Hill, 1999. ISBN 978-0070126183. (EN)
ŠEDIVÁ, S.: Měření v elektrotechnice - Sbírka příkladů. Elektronická skripta VUT-FEKT, 2017. (CS)
Virtuální laboratoř VLM (CS)
MALARIC, R: Instrumentation and Measurement in Electrical Engineering, Brown Walker Press, 2011. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Techning methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Students have to write a ten laboratory records during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
up to 40 points for the evaluation and laboratory tests.
up to 60 points for the final written examination.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to the Principles of good measurement. The general measurement procedure. Brief bases of metrology.
2. Errors of measurement and calculation of their division.
3. Uncertainty of measurement and calculation of their division. The parameters of accuracy and uncertainty provided by the manufacturer.
4. Instruments for measuring active electrical quantities - voltage. Measurement of DC voltage, AC voltage analog measurements. Digital measurement. A / D converters for measuring instruments. Properties of devices for measuring AC and DC voltage, analog and digital. Multimeters and their properties.
5. Measurement recorders and analog oscilloscopes. Loggers, recorders, analog oscilloscopes. Types of analog oscilloscopes, and the structure of the oscilloscope from the user perspective, additional devices oscilloscopes, analog oscilloscopes feature overview commercially available.
6. Digital oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers. Digital oscilloscopes, their components and structure of the user's perspective, the advantages and disadvantages, features an overview of commercially available digital oscilloscopes. Measurement in logic nets. Spectrum analyzer, additional devices to oscilloscopes for measuring the spectrum. of interpretation of the results obtained by spectral analysis.
7. Time, frequency and phase measurement. Analog and digital methods, measuring low and high frequencies, a universal counter arrangement, method of use.
8. Instrument for measuring current and power. Measurement of DC and AC power analog and digital. Principles and organization of such meters.
9. Measurements in multiphase systems.
10. Instruments for measuring passive electrical quantities - resistance, capacitance, inductance. Apparatus and methods for direct indication of analog and digital, the principles of bridge methods. Measurement of impedance and admittance.
11. Measurement characteristics of components, circuits and systems. Measurement of static characteristics, display characteristics, measurement of dynamic characteristics. Measurement of properties of linear systems (briefly). Signal generators and measuring their properties.
12. Magnetic and other measurement. Measuring magnetic variables (fields) in the air, magnetic materials, applied physics principles. Measurement of parameters of ferromagnets (hysteresis loop losses). The use of magnetic measurements for electrical measurements.
13. Automation of measurement.
The aim is to learn how to work with electrical measuring instruments, to be able to implement the required method and process measurement results.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Laboratory classes are mandatory it is possible to replace the missed laboratory exercise.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: opened course