Services of Communication Systems
FEKT-MKC-SKSAcad. year: 2021/2022
The course deals with services provided by current telecommunication systems. Students obtain essential knowledge of technologies that are used all the time even if not preferably, i.e. ISDN services and Asynchronous Transfer Mode ( ATM). Emphasis is however on current technologies such as xDSL (ADSL, SDSL, HDSL, and VDSL) and on modern transmission connected to the SS7signalling system. Students will significantly deepen their knowledge of Internet protocol version 6 following up on IPv4 and focusing on Quality of Service QoS. They will obtain further information on IP/ATM integration and on LAN emulation. They will also be made familiar with priority control in network elements and with services over power network and cable TV.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
On completing the course, students will be able to:
- analyse services provided by contemporary communication networks,
- theoretically analyse the technologies related to xDSL services,
- justify the contemporary state of ISDN usage,
- sum up the features of ISDN,
- compare ATM and other possibilities of high-speed transmission
- explore the creation of ATM cells in relation to services,
- design signalling by means of SS7,
- categorize the Quality of service, QoS,
- explore the potentials of IPv6 in QoS assurance,
- compare the possibilities of routing in network elements,
- plan LAN emulation,
- judge services transmitted over a power network and cable TV,
- practice the MySQL environment,
- configure the Jabber server,
- estimate network safety.
Student who enrol on this course should to be able to: - explain the basic terms of converged communication networks, - define the features of Ethernet-type networks, - name the principles of IPv4, - express the features of multimedia services, - apply the knowledge of obligatory subjects Theoretic Informatics. The subject knowledge on the Bachelor degree level is generally required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ŠKORPIL,V.: Služby telekomunikačních sítí. VUT, Brno 2014. (CS)
ŠKORPIL, V., VYCHODIL, P., KAPOUN, V. Efektivní využití přenosu informací pro integrovanou výuku VUT a VŠB-TUO, Brno 2015 (CS)
KLČOVÁ, H., SODOMKA, P. Informační systémy v podnikové praxi, 2. vydání. Computer Press, Brno 2011. ISBN 978-8025128787. (CS)
FARLAND, S., SAMBI, M., SHARMA, N., HOODA, S. IPv6, kompl. průvodce nasaz. v podnik. sítích. Computer Press, Brno 2011. ISBN 978-8025136843. (CS)
FARMER, J., LANE, B., BOURG, K., WANG, W. FTTx Networks, Technology Implementation and Operation. Morgan Kaufmann Elsevier, 2016. ISBN 978-0-12-420137-8. (CS)
ODOM,W., HEALY,R., MEHTA,N. Směrování a přepínání sítí. CPress, Brno 2009. (CS)
BLACK, V.: Voice over IP. Prentice Hall, London 2002. (EN)
Norma ČSN EN 62056-21 (CS)
Norma ČSN EN 62056-42 (CS)
Norma ČSN EN 52056-46 (kompletní norma) (CS)
Norma ČSN N 62056-4-7 (CS)
Norma ČSN EN 62056-5-3 (kompletní norma) (CS)
Norma ČSN EN 62056-9-7 (CS)
Norma ČSN EN 62056-7-6 (CS)
Norma ČSN EN 62056-6-1 ED.2 (kompletní norma) (CS)
Norma ČSN EN 62056-6-2 ED.2 (kompletní norma (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures, practical laboratories and computer laboratories. The part of this course is a project and a presentation of results in power point. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
0-5 points – for activity in laboratory,
0-5 points – for activity in computer exercises,
0-20 points – for elaboration of an individual project of MySQL database design,
0-70 points – for written exam with e-learning support, compulsory part for the completion of the course.
The exam is focused on verifying the orientation in the services of communication networks with focus on Quality of Service, IPv6 and control of network elements.
Language of instruction
1. Services provided by current telecommunication systems.
2. Technology connected with services xDSL (ADSL, SDSL, HDSL, VDSL) including theoretical analysis.
3. Services ISDN. Basic and Primary Access, reference model of subscriber connection ISDN, frame structure on the S0 interface, terminal power supply.
4. Asynchronous Transfer Mode ATM. ATM principle, service classes, ATM cells, layer model.
5. SS7 signalling system. SS7 features, signalling network, SS7 building, Message Transfer Part MTP, user parts, dynamic network routing, management of SS7.
6. Internet protocol version 6, IPv4 relationship.
7. Quality of service QoS.
8. IP and ATM, communication principles.
9. Basic principles of the functions of active network elements - router, switch and their services in the network.
10. Layer 3 switching, peer-to-peer multilayer mapping, ATM/IP integration, non-connection oriented service, classical IP over ATM (CLIP) and its further development.
11. LAN Emulation, private network-to-network interface (PNNI).
12. Artificial intelligence for priority control in network elements.
13. Data transmission and related services over power network and cable TV.
The aim of this course is to give students extensive orientation in services of communication systems, offer a summary of IPv6 with a view to Quality of Service, and analyse priority routing in network elements.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at laboratories is compulsory, justified absence can be made up after prior arrangement with the instructor.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MKC-TIT Master's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 7 credits, compulsory-optional