Advanced methods of programming PLC
FEKT-MPA-PMPAcad. year: 2021/2022
- Advanced programming methods and taking advantage of various programming languages to build applications for PLC.
- Access to process data from industrial network in the PLC.
- AS-Interface and DeviceNet as representatives direct mapping data into the PLC memory.
- Access to process and diagnostic data via Ethernet / IP.
- Security code in the PLC.
- Automation of code generation.
- Optimization of code from different perspectives.
- Development of safety software.
- Powerful web-based manufacturing business intelligence solution - FactoryTalk® VantagePoint
- Supervisory-level HMI software for monitoring and controlling distributed-server/multi-user applications - FactoryTalk Historian Edition
- obtaining real-time process and production information - FactoryTalk Historian Edition
- integrated, cross-product solution to two universal security concerns: authentication and authorization - FactoryTalk Security.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will know about advanced programming methodologies, optimization and security code to the PLC. They know the possibilities of access to process and diagnostic data via industrial networks. They can implement safety functions Safety PLC by design. Students will be focused on getting information about the obtaining real-time process and production data through server solutions, including problem of user authentication and authorization.
Knowledge is required at the bachelor's degree in technical field. Furthermore, knowledge of industrial automation and PLC programming are required too.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Petruzella, F. D. : Programmable logic controllers. 5th ed. ISBN 978-0-07-337384-3
. McGraw-Hill.,New York 2017 (EN)
Logix 5000 Controllers Nonvolatile Memory Card. Rockwell Automation Technologies, Inc. 2018 (EN)
Logix 5000 Controllers Program Parameters. Rockwell Automation Technologies, Inc. 2018 (EN)
Logix 5000 Controllers Messages. Rockwell Automation Technologies, Inc. 2018 (EN)
Logix 5000 Controllers IEC 61131-3 Compliance. Rockwell Automation Technologies, Inc. 2018 (EN)
LOGIX 5000 Controllers Security. Rockwell Automation Technologies, Inc. 2018 (EN)
Radvanovsky, R., Brodsky, J. Handbook of SCADA/Control Systems Security. 2nd ed. 2016 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the teaching methods are described in Article 7 of the Study and Examination Regulations of BUT.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The credit is granted on the following conditions:
1. Lab project and presentation - min. 10 points from 15 points
2. Practical tasks- max. 15 points.
For exam is subject to the following conditions:
1. Writen part - min. 25 points from 50 points.
2. Oral part – max. 20 points
Language of instruction
• Advanced programming methods
• Access to process data from industrial network in the PLC
• Development of safety software
• Automation of code generation and optimization of code
• Security code in the PLC
• Obtaining real-time process and production information
• Integrated, cross-product solution to two universal security concerns: authentication and authorization
The aim of the course is to give the students sufficient knowledge to enhance their basic knowledge in PLC programming. The course deals with advanced programming, optimization and security methodologies, and an access to process and diagnostic data through the selected industrial networks. Another aim is to introduce the students with real-time process data on server-based solutions, including problem of user authentication and authorization. The lab project has focused on control real (physical) models, design and validation of network solution and diagnostics of their relevant network devices.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
There are checking the individual work on assigned tasks and practical test in the lab exercise. There is successful completion of written and oral part of the exam.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MPA-EEN Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory-optional