Scientific Publishing A to Z
FEKT-DKA-EIZAcad. year: 2021/2022
The course guide students through the process of creating of a scholarly text. In the first chapters, the course focuses on the collection of information from available electronic resources, their correct use and quoting. Next chapters provide the tips for creating a scholarly text and choosing a suitable journal for publishing. In the last chapters the course focuses on the dissemination of the results of the scientific work and the citation analyzes.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will know the basic sources of scientific information from pre-paid databases at BUT as well as freely available information sources and patent databases. He will be able to cite the literature correctly. He/she will be familiar with the basic principles of creating a scientific text and the basics of the publishing process. He/she will be able to find a suitable journal for publishing the text and in relation to the evaluation of science in Czech Republic. He will know the basic possibilities to promote the results of the scientific work in the online environment. Will be able to perform citation analysis of the publishing results using various tools.
Basic knowledge of working with PC and Internet.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Wallwork, A.: English for writing research papers. New York: Springer, 2011. ISBN 978-1-4419-7921-6. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught in the form of e-learning using the LMS Moodle and through individual consultations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
To pass the course successfully, it is necessary to pass the assigned tasks.
Language of instruction
- Topic Selection
- Scientific Resources
- "Destination" Selection
- Writing Scientific Article
- Reference Management Softwares
- Publishing Process and Copyright
- Citation Analysis and Altmetrics
- Presenting Results
The aim of the course is to show students the possibilities of searching for scientific information, processing the information into a scholarly text and acquaint them with the principles of ethical use of information. Students will also got an overview of the evaluation of science in the Czech Republic and will be able to choose the appropriate journal or conference to present their scientific results. The course will also help them with the promotion of their work and subsequent analyzes of the success of their texts.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The definition of the controlled education and the way of its implementation are stipulated by the updated guarantor's annual regulation.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme DKA-KAM Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, elective
- Programme DKA-EKT Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, elective
- Programme DKAD-EIT Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, elective
- Programme DKA-MET Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, elective
- Programme DKA-SEE Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, elective
- Programme DKA-TLI Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, elective
- Programme DKA-TEE Doctoral, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, elective