FSI-OPOAcad. year: 2020/2021
Aircraft operation, individual parts, service, maintenance, repair, examples of typical works. Commission regulation (EU) No 1321. Relation between maintenance and reliability. Management methods of maintenance and repairs. Basic characteristics of maintenance, methods of aircraft maintenance. Methods of look out for failures. Troubleshooting methods. Selection of diagnostic parameters, diagnostic means. Maintenance of airframe, engine and systems of aircraft. Repair of airframe, parts of control system. Calculation of spare parts inventory. Repairs of tanks, pipelines and composition parts, renewal of paintings.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will acquire the basic knowledge and experience of aircraft maintenance and repair. The knowledge is necessary for successful solving the operating reliability and aeronautical operation safety.
Basic knowledge of material science, mechanical and chip lees working, welding and riveting.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
H. A. Kinnison, T. Siddiqui: Aviation maintenance management. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2013 (EN)
C. H. Friend: Aircraft maintenance management. Harlow, Essex, England: Longman, 1992. (EN)
Nařízení komise (EU) 2014/1321 (CS)
AC 43.13-1B - Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices - Aircraft Inspection and Repair, 1998 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work, where applicable excursions..
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Awarding the course-unit credit is based on the 80% presence at exercises and correct elaboration of homework. The examination has both written and oral parts. The written one comprises solving 2 problems, the oral one consist of answering 2 questions randomly chosen by a student.
Language of instruction
Students will be familiarized with the purpose, typical technologies of aircraft maintenance and repair. Students will learn about repair methods of selective parts of aircraft.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
If presence at lessons is less then 80%, students have to prove elaborated tasks and completed parts from missed lessons. Missed lessons can be compensated in a very limited extend by consultations with the lecturer.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Aircraft operation term definitions.
2. Commission regulation (EU) No 1321
3. Aircraft maintenance and reliability.
4. Maintenance characteristics.
5. Aircraft maintenance methods.
6. Methods of look out for failures
7. Management methods of maintenance and repairs.
8. Diagnostic means to an aircraft monitoring.
9. Maintenance of airframes and aircraft systems.
10. Calculation of spare parts inventory.
11. Repair of airframe parts, renewal of paintings.
12. Repair of aircraft systems, tanks, pipelines.
13. Repair of composition parts,
2 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Basic activities related to the airframe maintenance and repair.
2. Basic activities related to the aircraft engine maintenance and repair.
11 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Analysis of aircraft operation conditions.
2. Selection and competence of aerial staff.
3. The requirements for issuing a certificate of release to service
4. Calculation of maintenance characteristics.
5. Selection of diagnostic parameters of the hydraulic systems.
6. Documentation for the maintenance and repair of aircraft.
7. Calculation of the reserve maintenance time by CPM.
8. Calculation of the delivery plan.
9. Design of the fuel tank repair.
10. The repair of steering rods.
11. Design of the wing skin repair.
eLearning: opened course