Base of geotechnics
FAST-NFB021Acad. year: 2020/2021
Subject and contents of geotechnics.
Foundation soils and their classification.
Foundation soils properties and limit states of foundation soils.
Foundations of constructions - spread and deep ones.
Geophysical survey, investigative work of engineering geology and in situ tests of rock mechanics.
Stability of slopes and rock walls, landslides.
Types and specifics of underground structures, methods of building.
Instrumentation and monitoring in geotechnics. Geodesic methods used in geotechnics.
Institute of Geotechnics (GTN)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student in course "Base of geotechnics" will make general view about geotechnical discipline: rock and soil mechanics, engineering geology, foundation engineering and underground structures. He will be taken up with instrumentation and monitoring in geotechnics and with geodetical methods used in it.
General knowledge of civil engineering, techniques and natural sciences.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. The subject and content of geotechnics. Classification of foundation soils, rocks and week rocks.
2. Foundation soils properties and their determination.
3. Footings of buildings (shallow and deep). Limit states of foundation soil.
4. Technologies of footings.
5. Survey works of engineering geology.
6. In situ tests of rock mechanics.
7. Stability analysis of slopes and cliffs. Landslides.
8. The types and specifics of underground structures. Construction methods.
9. Deformation of surroundings at underground structures.
10. Instrumentation and monitoring in geotechnics.
11. Geodetical methods used in geotechnics.
13. Conclusion and summary.
The student will make general view about geotechnical discipline: rock and soil mechanics, engineering geology, foundation engineering and underground structures. He will be taken up with instrumentation and monitoring in geotechnics and with geodetical methods used in it.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-GK Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional