Metal Bridges 2 (DST)
FAST-CO003Acad. year: 2020/2021
Steel-concrete composite bridges - basis of static and structural design.
Box girder bridges - basis of design, specialties of box girder bridges.
Arch bridges and frame bridges - types of arch and frame bridges, basis of static and structural design.
Skewed bridges and curved bridges - basis of design, specialties of curved and skewed bridges.
Suspension bridges and cable-stayed bridges - general principles of static behaviour, basis of design.
Steel and steel-concrete composite bridge supports - basic principles of static and structural design.
Manufacture and erection of metal bridges - basic methods and procedures.
Institute of Metal and Timber Structures (KDK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will learn the problems of the course and will get under controll the course aims, within the meaning of obtaining knowledge and skills in the field of design of more complicated structural systems of metal and steel-concrete bridges, concretized in the course schedule.
Design of members, components and connections of steel structures. Metal bridges, web-plated and truss bridges. Design of members and components of concrete structures. Static design of truss structures and arches including influence lines. Basis of design of suspension and cable-stayed structures.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Steel-concrete composite bridges - loading actions, the beams in the elastic behaviour (basis of design).
2. Steel-concrete composite bridges - the beams in the plastic bahaviour, shear connections (basis of design).
3. Box girder bridges - specific properties of box girder bridges, the principles of static design, torsion of box girder bridges.
4. Skewed bridges and curved bridges - basis of design.
5. Arch bridges - types of arch bridges, structural composition, basic principles of static and structural design.
6. Arched bridges - specialties of the static design, frame bridges - basic principles.
7. Suspension bridges - basic principles of static and structural design.
8. Cable-stayed bridges - basic principles of static and structural design.
9. Steel and steel-concrete composite bridge supports - types, structural and static design.
10. Manufacture and erection of metal bridges. Examples of realized metal bridges.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquires knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans