Business Idea Development
FP-BBIDEAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course focuses on the development of student entrepreneurial ideas and their commercialization both in the virtual environment and in the form of personal sales at the student company fair. The course is also aimed at objective assessment of these ideas, their development, testing and launch the products ( services) to a market.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to creatively and flexibly develop their business idea in a constantly changing market environment. Furthermore, they will learn methods and techniques for successful commercialization and development of other key areas related to the development of a business idea.
Each student will work out a seminar project on Business Competence Development at the end of this course.
Acquired entrepreneurial competence from Business Competence Development
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The studying project is based on the cooperation with Tampere University of Applied Sciences. The majority of business acitivies are simulated in software virtual environment.The main educational method is coaching and team learning. An integral part of the course are lectures and workshops of practitioners on selected topics related to the development of business ideas.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Students will work in teams. The evaluation will be based on a multi-criteria assessment of both the team's performance and the personal contribution of each student for the results achieved. Students will be able to get a total of 100 points for these key activities - the preparation and implementation of an internationa sales event of student companies - 40 points, management of business agenda in teams - 30 points.
Each student will also elaborate a seminar project on Business Idea Development, which will be evaluated by the remaining 30 points.
Language of instruction
1. Commercialization of business ideas, communication with customers, work with individual software modules - e-banking, ERP system, e-shop
2. Making business and keeping related agenda - purchase, finance, sales, marketing
3. Making business and the business agenda - purchase, finance, sales, marketing; preparation of promotional materials, order forms and other materials for Sales Event
4. Preparation of promotional materials, order forms and other materials for Sales Event
5. Realization of Sales Event, personal dealings with customers - concluding individual business contracts
6. Completing the business agenda and closing all statements in connection with the student company fair.
7. Feedback on virtual business management and organization and realization of Student Sales Event
8. Entering projects for students - how to improve and develop business ideas (Business Idea Development Projects), an expert's day
9. Workshop - development of business ideas for product innovation
10. Workshop - development business ideas for innovation in services
11. Expert Lecture (case study) - the foundation and development of a company
12. Presentation of student projects - how to improve and develop business ideas (see Week 8).
13. Feedback and evaluation of student projects and overall evaluation of students
The aim of the course is to develop and commercialize a business idea. Students will be encouraged to realize the connection between decisions in individual areas of the business "agenda", their mutual impacts and links to the deveopment of the business idea.
Students will be encouraged to be creative and flexible in responding to the development of internal and external corporate environments and factors that hinder the development of a business idea.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The students´ performance within the course will be checked regularly in accordance with the preparation of individual activities. The following milestones will be monitored: the preparation and implementation of the sales event, management of business agenda in teams and the elaboration of the seminar project.