Building Constructions 2 (E)
FAST-BH058Acad. year: 2019/2020
Structural systems of multi-story buildings: - wall systems, load-bearing brick walls (masonry), openings in load-bearing walls, - monolithic skeleton systems, - combined skeleton and wall systems. Structural systems of high buildings and superstructures – design principles, material possibilities. Floor structures - function, general requirements, connection with vertical load-bearing walls. Floor structure types: wooden, monolithical reinforced concrete, ceramic, steel, combined floor structures.Recessed structures. Chimneys - chimney and ventilaton flues. Non-load-bearing structures -requirements, material and structural variations.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The knowledge from the subject are focused on the structural
principles and own structures with materials application. Student
will be able to prepare basic design of building concept.
Technical terminology, basic requirements to various types of building (functional, structural and architectural), basic knowledge about constructional systems, competence to choice of system commensurate with type of building, spatial stiffness provision of constructional system. Drawing knowledge of basic constructional types, competence of building drawings reading.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Requirements for design - functional, structural and material; loading; structural systems of multi-storey buildings.
2. The vertical load-bearing structures, walls - brick - type of mortar, masonry material, strength, settlement and creep masonry, brick masonry - types, masonry bond.
3. Block masonry, stonework, masonry mixed - material solutions, properties and design principles.
4. Monolithic and prefabricated walls, multi-layer design - design principles, strength, columns and pillars - material solutions, properties and design principles.
5. Openings in vertical structures (reinforcing elements) - wreaths and translations - static and design principles, material options, elimination of thermal bridges.
6. Horizontal structures - functional and static requirements binding on vertical structures, monolithic ceilings.
7. Prefabricated, polomontované ceiling structure - types, characteristics and performance requirements.
8. Dome - Types, construction and static solutions; skeletal systems - basic principles and functional requirements
9. Skeletal Systems - monolithic, prefabricated, modular systems combined.
10. Design systems of high-rise buildings - superstructure - principle, material options, indoor facilities - types, functional and static requirements.
11. Design pendant and recessed - balconies, loggias, porches, bay windows and cornices - material options, static requirements, heat technical problems.
12. Expansion joints; vertical non-bearing structures - walls - material and design solutions.
13. Chimneys and vents - Principles for design and implementation.
Acquisition of detailed view in building constructional systems. Acquisition of profound and detailed knowledge in part of building constructions applied to structural principles and own constructions with application of materials, vertical (bearing and non-load-bearing) and horizontal bearing structures including detailed adaptation of completion constructions and composite action.
Issue knowledge assuring preparedness to instruction in another grade of building construction and in following professional subjects.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans