FSI-WPIAcad. year: 2019/2020
A number of application properties of materials depends on the morphology and state of their surfaces. It is not deciding if the surface is outer or inner. The materials behaviour is strongly affected by interface boundaries between separate blocks of microstructure forming the whole solid. The interface boundaries becomes more important (and their area fraction is higher) for materials with lower block dimensions. Followingly the most important is for interfaces in nanostructured materials. The course "Surface engineering" is focused on the most important aspects of surfaces and interface boundaries, physical, chemical and mechanical, namely from theoretical, diagnostic and technologic aspects.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students of the course will obtain compact overview from the surface engineering, namely:
1. Knowledge about meaning of outer surface and inner interface boudnaries of the materials for their application properties. Knowledge about processes that may affect the outer surface and internal interface boundaries.
2. Knowledge of metrology and microgeometry (tortuosity, roughness) of the surfaces.
3. Knowledge of the important systems, phenomena and processes, where (outer, inner) surface plays key role.
Basic knowledge on microstructure and properties of materials in extent of first part of textbook L. Ptacek et al - "Materials Science". Introductory university course in mathematics, chemistry and physics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Fiala, J., Kraus, I. Povrchy a rozhraní, ČVUT v Praze, Praha 2009, ISBN 978-80-01-04248-9 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Exam: Verification of the knowledge about substantial parts of presented chapters. Emphasis will be focused on ability to apply obtained knowledge. Exam is in written form, completing questions may be given orally.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to raise student's interest for those fields of Materials sciences and engineering, which are associated with solids surfaces and internal interface boundaries forming the solid. It is to be shown that these problems are not so marginal as they appears, on the contrary for some systems and processes are even crucial.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Presence on the course is recommended.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
01. Surface stress and wetting
02. Surface tortuosity and anizotropy
03. Colloidal state of material
04. Surface microstructure of solids
05. Microstructure of interface boundaries in solids
07. Surfaces reactivity and adsorption
08. Surface microgeometry
09. Surface treatment
10. Recrystallisation, fatigue and spontanneous strukturalisation
11. Nanodispersive systems
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
01. Microgeometry of surfaces
02. Surface treatment procedures
03. Microstructure of interfaces
05. Scratch tests
06. Thermal barier coatings
eLearning: opened course