Digital Marketing and Social Media
FP-BDMSEAcad. year: 2019/2020
The emphasis is placed on the practical use of digital marketing instruments and social networking applications within the launch of innovative products to market.
The significant aspect is also the application of system-analytical methods leading to a product line innovation and optimization of product and sevice attributes. The main aim is to enhance the competitiveness of a company within the SME business.
Offered to foreign students
Of all faculties
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will gain the knowledge of specific approaches for the application of digital marketing and social networking for business purposes. Students will be able to use the relevant business tools and optimize digital marketing tactics and strategies using the necessary programs with a view to the efficient allocation of limited resources.
Intermediate knowledge of marketing concepts and principles at the average level of higher education is a prerequisite for the course - Digital Marketing and Social Media.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
POYNTER, Ray. The handbook of online and social media research: Tools and techniques for market researchers. John Wiley & Sons, 2010. (EN)
KAUFMAN, Ira; HORTON, Chris. Digital Marketing: Integrating Strategy and Tactics with Values, A Guidebook for Executives, Managers, and Students. Routledge, 2014. (EN)
FLORES, Laurent. How to measure digital marketing: metrics for assessing impact and designing success. Palgrave Macmillan, 2013. (EN)
RICHARDS, Michael. Social Media:Dominating Strategies for Social Media Marketing with Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, LinkedIn and Instagram. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015. ISBN 978-1507764862. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course consists of lectures where will be explaned the basic principles, methodologies and tools for digital marketing and social networking. Exercises are focused on practical usey of the subject matter presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit will be given for the project and presentation focused on:
- Optimization of digital marketing tools and social networks in terms of launching innovative products to market
- Application of system-analytical methods leading to innovation and optimization of product lines and innovative attributes of each product or service in order to increase the competitiveness of the business entity.
The test will focus on the acquisition of knowledge and skills taught in the course issues. System-engineering approach combined with a creative solution to the given examples will be primarily evaluated.
Language of instruction
1. Definition and framework of digital marketing and social networking for business purposes; the use of digital marketing for the purposes of marketing research (obtaining relevant information)
2. The establishment and development of SME business based on optimization of the supply of products and related services on the website
3. Using global online distribution channels for selling products - Amazon.
4. Possibilities of electronic payments via a payment gateway - a practical demonstration of the payment system GoPay
5. Search Engine Marketing - methodology for creating, editing and optimization of form and content of the website to increase their visibility and appropriate automated processing in web search engines
6. Online Keyword Advertising on Google adwords- reaching potential customers at the moment looks chosen words or phrases; the use of cost metrics through rate - CTR (effective rate of ad clicks), cost per click CPC (cost per click advertising), pay per click PPC (pay per click advertising) and others; e-mail marketing
7-8. Acquisition of new customers, conversion, maximize customer retention, identification of key characteristics of customers and use these data to create a more optimal marketing tactics in an environment of Google Analytics and Google Trends
9. Digital marketing targeted at mobile devices; SMS and MMS marketing; In-game mobile marketing; Location Based Marketing (marketing based on the findings of the place where the customer is located) Quick Respond (QR) codes; Application Ad-meter
10. Marketing Social Networking - a general introduction to the topic;
the most widely used social networks and their applications in marketing - Youtube, Facebook, Google +, Pinterest, Second Life, and more
11. Social networks focused on mobile devices - Instagram
12.Tvorba branding strategy in an environment of social networks and digital marketing
13. Identification and use of effective tools of digital marketing and social networking with regard to the use of limited resources in the SME business
The aim of the course is to learn the tools of digital marketing and social networking applications in connection with the promotion and sale of products within the SME business. Another aim is to teach students to apply systematic and analytical methods to innovate product lines and optimizing the various attributes of innovative products and services with an emphasis on increasing the competitiveness of the business entity.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Within the course the tools and applications of digital marketing and social networking will be introduced in the context of the SME business. The course will be focused on team projects which main objective will be the use and optimization of digital marketing and social networks tools in the case study. Further emphasis will be placed on system-analytical methods in the process of product innovation and their launch to markets. Part of the course time will be given to project consultation and within the rest of time students will work on their team projects.