Materials and Components for Biomedicine
FEKT-AMBMAcad. year: 2018/2019
The course deals with special materials for the usage in bio medicinal praxis. A section of it is dedicated to materials in cardiology, new electrochemical power sources, used in special instrumentation for medicine, for example, cardio stimulators (pace makers) and defibrillators. Another chapter will describe the influence of biological milieu on corrosion and life time of materials used and also the compatibility of implants and tissues. A part of the course will be dedicated to polymeric materials from chemical and structural viewpoints and related properties as well as the use of polymers for drugs with retarded loosening of the active substances (for example, tailored cytostatics). Another field of their application is presented by hydrogels for eye treating and further applications. Also the chapter describing nuclear magnetic resonance NMR and its application for diagnostic and analytical purposes. Next part describe measurement and influence of air ionts on humen health and importance of speleotherapy.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate after finishing proposed course will have be able following actions:
• Qualified judging of the materials application in biomedical praxis
• Describe the diseases of heart and vessel system and to describe the strategy of their treating
• Describe the properties of macromolecular materials, ceramics and metals suitable for implants
• To have a general survey over recent situation of materials for contact and implanted eye lenses
• To possess fundamental knowledge of usage of electrochemical power sources for laboratory equipment, cardio stimulators /peace makers, defibrillators and so on
• To be informed of the newest trends in preparation and application of bio nanomaterials in medicine, for example, for the treatment of carcinogenous diseases
• To be avare of the nuclear magnetic spectroscopu (NMR) and of the tissues compatibility in NMR diagnostics
To have a general knowledge about measurement and influence ionts on humen health and speleotherapy
To have knowledge about influence of mineral substances on human health.
Student who will register for this course must possess knowledge on the level of secondary schools in following topics:
•the influence of structure of materials onto their properties
•essential knowledge of material science (w.g., metals, semiconductors and insulators)
•essential knowledge of human body
•essential knowledge of processes in human body
•to be able to perform experiments with non - dangerous chemicals according to directions in laboratory manual
•he (she) should to possess fundamental knowledge concerning computational work for treatment and analysis of experimental data
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Sedlaříková a kol.: Materiály pro biomedicínu, elektronická skripta (CS)
Bednář, B. a kol.: Nové materiály, Ediční středisko VŠCHT, Praha 1991 (CS)
Vondrák, J., Sedlaříková,M.,Elektrochemická měření, elektronická verze (CS)
Valečko,Z: Bioelektronika, BEN Technická literatura, Praha 2005 (CS)
Navrátil,L. a kol: Medicínská biofyzika, GRADA 2005, Praha (CS)
Žabka,M. a kol.:Moderní lékové formy ve farmaceutické technologii, Bratislava 2001 (CS)
Pistoia, G.: Lithium Batteries, New Materials, Developments and Perspective, Elsevier Science B.V., Amsterodam, 1994 (EN)
Liu,B. In vitro investigation of Fe30Mn6Si shape memory alloy as potential biodegradable metallic material, Material Letters 65 (2011) 540-543 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures, practical laboratories and excursion. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to write a single project/assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Classification of laboratory work ( 6 work assignment )...summary 30p
Written part of closing examen..............................................................60p
Presentation of assignet topic................................................................10p
Language of instruction
1. Introduction – chemical bonds. Structure of substances on molecular and atomic levels. Crystal structure of solids.
2. Properties of surfaces and nanoparticles – crystallographic planes, classification of nanostructures. Nano materials for electrical engineering – spintrtonics, nanophotonics, bio nanotechnologies – nano safety
3. Shape of drugs, tailored cytostatics, materials used for them
4. Metals and polymer materials designed for use in cardiology
5. Materials for eye lenses, polymers in the medizin
6. Investigation of concentrations and parameters of atmospheric ions. Speleotherapy.
7. Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroskopy and compatibility of tissue implants
8. Gasis in medizin and food industry
9. Mineral substances in the body, influence of surplus and deficiency of them
The proposed subject will deepen the knowledge of Bachelor students of electrical engineering of materials and their properties for biomedical applications.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Exercises in laboratory are obligatory. Dully excussed absence in laboratory exercises is possible to complete after being approved by the teacher.