Computer Aided Technology
FSI-DPPAcad. year: 2017/2018
The lectures and seminars will enable students to acquire knowledge of mostly exploited regions of computer support in technologies of forming, welding and heat treatment. The basic part of the course is the work with simulation software using the finite element method and mastering the fundamentals of using software in direct support of technologists work. Mastering the work with above-mentioned software enable assessing of manufacturing process conditions and data necessary for determining of the optimal manufacturing technology for required part. The students will acquire basic experience for an individual orientation in problems of numerical simulations and analyzes using the finite element method.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The students will acquire practical experience in the theory, as well as the latest knowledge in CAD-CAM. Students will obtain the basic skills and experience of projects elaborating in numerical simulations of metal forming, welding and heat treatment.
Basic knowledge of engineering technology and computer literacy.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VALBERG, Henry S. Applied metal forming including FEM analysis. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2010. ISBN 978-051-1729-430.
ŘIHÁČEK, Jan. FSI VUT v Brně. Počítačová podpora technologie: část tváření. Brno, 2015, 29 s. Sylabus.
ŘIHÁČEK, Jan. FSI VUT v Brně. Simulace tvářecích procesů v softwaru FormFEM: řešené příklady. Brno, 2015, 94 s.
PETRUŽELKA, Jiří a Jiří HRUBÝ. Výpočetní metody ve tváření. 1. vyd. Ostrava: Vysoká škola báňská - Technická univerzita, Strojní fakulta, 2000. ISBN 80-7078-728-7.
GOLDAK, John A. a Mehdi AKHLAGHI. Computational welding mechanics. New York, USA: Springer, 2005, 321 s. ISBN 03-872-3287-7.
ESI GROUP. SYSWELD 2015: Reference Manual. 2015, 334 s.
VANĚK, Mojmír. FSI VUT v Brně. Počítačová podpora technologie: část svařování. Brno, 2015. Sylabus.
VANĚK, Mojmír. FSI VUT v Brně. Počítačová podpora technologie: příklady ze simulací svařování a tepelného zpracování. Brno, 2015.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions for awarding the course-unit credit are active participation in the class and elaboration of fractional tasks. The course is finalized with the graded course-unit credit. It is classificated by using the ECTS grading scale.
Language of instruction
The objective of the course is to acquire a view of possibilities of computer support utilisation in technology and to acquire bases of a working manner in particular areas of this subject. The students will have a view of what they can expect from computer support results in practice. They will learn to work with simulation software based on finite element method in area of computer aided forming, welding and heat treatment.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance in lectures is recommended. Attendance in exercises is compulsory. The attendance to the seminar is regularly checked and the participation in the lesson is recorded. The missed lesson is possible to replace with another study group in the same week. In case, that the lesson does not possible to replace, the teacher may in justified cases set an additional task.
Type of course unit
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Computer analysis in the preparation and production management
2. Simulation of technological processes
3. Fundamentals of finite element method
4. Basic principle of FEM problems solving
5. Temperature analysis and nonlinear problems in FEM
6. Material nonlinearity in FEM
7. Basic calculation algorithms of forming processes by FEM
8. FEM applications for analysis of forming processes
Welding and heat treatment:
9. Theoretical introduction to numeric simulation of welding
10. Thermal processes by welding and their mathematic modelling
11. Material - building of models for calculation, weldeability
12. Tension and deformation during welding, their numeric description
13. Utilization of numeric simulation in heat treatment
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction to the user interface of FormFEM software
2. Solving of specified problem in bulk metal forming by using FormFEM software
3. Introduction to the user interface of PAM-Stamp software
4. Solving of specified problem in sheet metal forming by using PAM-Stamp software
5. Solving of specified problem in sheet metal forming by using PAM-Stamp software
6. Introduction to the user interface of ANSYS software
7. Solving of specified problem by using ANSYS software
8. Solving of specified problem by using ANSYS software
Welding and heat treatment:
9. Influence of the welding process on the resulting strain and stress - award
10. Influence of the welding process on the resulting strain and stress - evaluation
11. Temperature of preheating and its influence on the properties of welded joint - task
12. Numerical simulation heat treatment
13. Evaluation of written work, graded course-unit credit