FEKT-BSPCAcad. year: 2016/2017
The course is aimed to the personal computer architecture and peripheral communication (interrupts, DMA, serial data communication, communication buses and graphical cards). The descriptions of the devices are aimed to designing of user peripheral and user interfaces (signal measurement, data analyses). As a peripheral devices are used FPGAs and signal processors.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- able to design a simple PC peripheral
- synthesizes logical devices and networks
- describes ISA, PCI and PCI Express buses
- describes the functional blocks and properties of gate arrays
- describes advantages and disadvantages of implementation of DSP and FPGA based peripherals
- discus interrupt handling mechanisms
- identifies weakness of PC’s buses and their usage
The subject knowledge of programming in C language, boolean function, logic and sequential devices operation.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
MUELLER S. Personal Computer. Computer Press, 2001. 869 p. ISBN 80-7226-470-2. (EN)
BUDRUK S. PCI Express System Architecture. MindShare, Inc., 2013 1280 p. ISBN 13: 978-0-321-15630-3. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Students have toparticipate on single project during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Labs + projects: 50 points
Final Exam: 50 points
Requirements for completion of the course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction – course definition, examples.
2. Gate arrays.
3. Personal computer periferies.
4. Buses (ISA, PCI].
5. Buses (PCI, proprietary buses).
6. HDL I (ABEL, VHDL).
7. HDL II (VHDL examples).
8. Signal processors - introduction.
9. Signal processors - instruction set DSP.
10. Signal processors - DSP/PC communication.
11. Highspeed communication (DDR, LVDS, ExpressPCI).
12. Dynamic memory DDR SDRAM.
13. Optics fiber communication (1G Ethernet, 10G Ethernet).
The aim of the course is to inform students about PC construction on programmer level. The course allows to understand PC function as a control computer in technology processes.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.