FEKT-BRZBAcad. year: 2016/2017
The first part of course is dedicated to switchgears in electrical substations focusing on their schemes, design and properties, but also on branches equipment and service operations. Practical experience students gain by working on projects, in which they solve examples of switchgear busbar dimensioning or checking of overhead line conductors. The power system protections are discussed in the second part of the course. Working in laboratories where students get familiar with the selected electric protection is a practical experience. In the end the course also deals with an introduction to the high voltage technology, which is related to dielectric strength of distribution equipment.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Graduates of this course should be able
- characterize basic types of transmission and distribution networks,
- explain the differences in the arrangement of busbar systems of switchgears,
- list the basic conditions for blocking the apparatus in switchgear branches
- apply the basic aspects of power lines dimensioning,
- explain the principles of the basic types of electrical protection,
- explain the effect of current transformers to the electrical protections.
The basic knowledge of power distribution are required in this course - the parameters of the power system elements of power line losses or characteristic values of short-circuit currents.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
KRYCHTÁLEK, Z., PAUZA J. Elektrické stanice, SNTL Praha 1989 (CS)
ORSÁGOVÁ, J. Rozvodná zařízení. 2004. s. 106 ( s.) (CS)
MERTLOVÁ, J., KOCMICH, M. Elektrické stanice a vedení , Západočeská univerzita 1997 (CS)
VERNER, J. Elektrické stanice a vedení, VUT Brno 1989 (CS)
DOHNÁLEK, P. Ochrany pro průmysl a energetiku. STNL 1991 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures, computer laboratories and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to write a two projects/assignments during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Students can obtain up to 50 points of the overall evaluation of the course during the semester - 20 points for projects up to 10 points for the processing of laboratory protocols and 20 points in the final test. A student has to obtain at least half of the maximum points in all mentioned activities.
The final exam is oral (max. 50 points). It focuses on the orientation in the topics as are defined for the State exam. The condition for the successful passing this exam is to get at least half of the maximum points.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction - substations as part of power system, nominal voltages, operation mode of distribution networks, basic electrical schemes and parameters of switchgears.
2. Switchgears bays facilities - features and applications. Operation manipulation in substation.
3. Technology version of HV and MV substation - outdoor and indoor substation, gas-insulated, hybrid.
4. Cables and overhead lines - materials, construction, classification codes
5. Cables and overhead lines accessories.
6. Conductors designing in respect to maximum operating temperature of cable core.
7. Conductors designing in respect to short circuits effects.
8. Mechanical design of overhead lines.
9. Electrical protection theory - Fundamentals terms and classifications.
10. Types of electrical protection for electrical devices in distribution system.
11. Overvoltage in distribution system and protections against overvoltage.
12. Electrical strength of switchgears and lines, insulation coordination.
The aim of the course is to give students basic information about equipment for electrical energy distribution and learn them basic techniques and principles for the design of power lines. Furthermore, students should get familiar with the principles of electrical protection for the protection of power systems devices.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Labs are compulsory; correctly excused absence can be replaced by arrangment with the teacher.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
Exercise in computer lab
9 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer