Bioceramics materials and biocomposites
CEITEC VUT-DS202AAcad. year: 2022/2023
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Recommended optional programme components
Mann S. a spol. (ed): Biomineralization, WCH, New York 1989
Fischman a spol. (ed): Bioceramics: Materials and Applications, Am. Ceram. Soc., Ohio 1994
Rieke P. C. a spol. (ed): Materials Synthesis Utilizing Biological Processes, MRS, Pittsburg 1990
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
2. General problems associated with the use of biomaterials: Fastening. Reaction of organism. Wear.
3. Compatibility between bioceramic and physiological environment
4. Biomaterials for surgical use: metals, polymers, ceramics and composites.
5. Structure of ceramics and glass, their formation and properties.
7. Bioinert ceramics: alumina and zirconia, their properties and bioapplications
8. Bioactive glass ceramics and calcium phosphates
9. Implant testing: Biocompatibility. Mechanical tests. Dimensional accuracy. Abrasion resistance. Strength. Chemical and biochemical corrosion. Thermal expansion.
10. Preparation of bioceramic bulk and layered materials.