EM Compatibility and Radiation Issues
FEKT-MPA-EMRAcad. year: 2022/2023
The course is oriented on practical knowledge. First basic concept of electromagnetic compatibility is introduced with respect to current standards. The standards requirements are explained and demonstrated on selected examples. Students will perform real system and subsystem measurements and will evaluation their compatibility with EMC standards. Ionizing radiation issues are discussed: types and areas of occurrence of different types of ionizing radiation are explained, including their effect on electronic components. Design principles for radiation intensive environments are introduced.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- find appropriate EMC standards required for particular application
- perform system analysis and point out critical design aspects with respect to EMC
- design a system with respect to EMC requirements
- analyze and solve EMC problems in systems not meeting EMC standards
- discuss general effects of ionizing radiation on electronic systems
- analyze requirements on an electronic system with respect to desired mission profile
- propose suitable radiation shielding for electronic components
Recommended optional programme components
NIKOLOPOULOS, C. D.: Electromagnetic Compatibility for Space Systems Design. IGI Global 2018, ISBN: 978-1522554158. (EN)
VELAZCO, R.: Radiation Effects on Integrated Circuits and Systems for Space Applications. Springer; 1st ed. 2019, ISBN: 978-3030046590. (EN)
KNOLL, G. Radiation Detection and Measurement. 4th Ed. Wiley, 2010. 864 p. ISBN: 978-0470131480. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
2. Distortion coupling mechanism and its elimination.
3. Interference suppression, PSB design practice, EMI suppression filters.
4. EMI shielding: theory, implementation, limitations.
5. Interference measurement methods, analysis of measurement results.
6. Communication interface immunity testing.
7. Metastability, practical examples of EMC issue solutions.
8. Near-Earth and free-space ionizing radiation: types and sources, effect on electronic systems.
9. Semiconductor component radiation hardness: SEE, TID, MTBF.
10. Minimizing of SEE occurrence and its consequences: system design, shielding, TMR, ECC, FEC.
11. Radiation hardness testing: methods, analysis.
12. Software requirements for environments with ionizing radiation.
13. Ionizing radiation sources: regulations, operation, available sites.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MPA-SAP Master's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory