Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Simulations
FSI-ITMAcad. year: 2021/2022
The course consists of with theoretical and practical parts. The following topics are dealt with in the theoretical part: Fundamentals of numerical modelling. Heat conduction in one- and two-dimensional coordinate systems. Control-volume discretisation method. Source linearisation, boundary conditions, solution of algebraic equations systems (TDMA algorithm). Computation schemes for unsteady conduction. Equations of viscous laminar flow, general transport equation. Discretisation of convection-diffusion problems. Pressure-velocity field solution algorithm. The following topics are dealt with in the practical part: CFD-code Star-CD practice (steady 2-D flow with heat transfer, natural convection, unsteady problems).
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will acquire the theoretical basis of computational modelling of fluid flow and heat transfer (discretization methods, transient solution, convective-diffusion problems, algorithms). In the practical part they will experience work with CFD codes (set up of models, discretization of solution domain, boundary conditions, management of calculations, postprocessing.
Theoretical basis of heat transfer, thermomechanics and fluid mechanics.
Recommended optional programme components
S. V. Patankar: Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, , 0
M. Jícha: Počítačové modelování úloh vedení tepla a proudění, , 0
S. V. Patankar: Computation of Conduction and Duct Flow Heat Transfer, , 0
H.K.Verseeg, W.Malalasekera: An introduction to computational fluid dynamics. The finite volume method
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The graded course-unit credit awarding is based on the results of the semester project.
Language of instruction
The course objective is to provide student with principles of computational modelling of fluid flow and heat transfer, using both theoretical and practical approaches.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at seminars is required. Absence from seminars can be compensated by attending seminars with other group of students or for via a make-up project.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme N-ETI-P Master's
specialization TEP , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme N-IMB-P Master's
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Contents and objectives of numerical modelling
2. Overview of numerical methods. Finite Difference Method
3. Finite Volume Method, Apply the FVM to the 1D diffusion equation
4. Apply the FVM to the 2D diffusion equation. Discretization of governing equations.
5. Source term linearization.
6. Discretization of boundary conditions.
7. Solution of the system of discretization equations. Tri-Diagonal Matrix Algorithm (TDMA)
8. Relaxation technique, Correction technique
9. Solution of the unsteady problems, Explicit, Implicit and Crank Nicholson schemes
11.Discretization of the convection-diffusion equation
12.SIMPLE and SIMPLER algorithms
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1) To make the acquaintance of UNIX and software Star-CD
2) Mesh generation
3) Techniques of a computational model generation
4) Determination of boundary condition and thermophysical properties
5) Analyzes of natural convection, post-processing
6) Working out of semester project