Biotechnology of Natural Compounds
FCH-MC_BPLAcad. year: 2021/2022
Biotechnology of organic acids synthesized by microorganisms. Vinegar. lactic acid, citric acid, gluconic acid and other minority acids. Biosynthesis of amino acids. Biosynthesis of vitamins. Enzyme biotechnology. Biosynthesis of intra- and extra-polysaccharides and other biopolymers. Biotechnology of secondary metabolites. Antibiotics. Biosynthesis of lipids. Ergot alkaloids. Giberelins. Oxidation reactions on saccharide molecule ("oxo" compounds, e.g. ascorbic acid). Microbial transformation. Biotechnology in environmental protection.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Acquired knowledge is a basis for further development and design of new biotechnologies of some significant sompoiunds (antibiotics, alkaloids etc).
Recommended optional programme components
Kadlec M., Melzoch K., Voldřich M.: Procesy a zařízení v potravinářství a biotechnologiích. VŠCHT Praha, 2013 (CS)
Z:Rehm,H.-J.,Reed G.: Biotechnology: Products of Secondary Metabolism, Vol 7, 2nd Ed, Wiley, Weinheim, 2008
Márová I.: Biotechnologie přírodních látek. E-learningový kurz s videokomentáři; https://moodle.vutbr.cz/course/view.php?id=223021 (CS)
D:Rehm,H.-J.,Reed G.: Biotechnology, 12 Vols., 2nd Ed, Wiley, Weinheim, 2008
Dubey R.S.: A Textbook of Biotechnology. S. Chand and Co., 4th Edition, 2014 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Lecture - 2 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Natural products and compounds - overview industrially significant groups.
2. Primary and secondary metabolism, intermediary control mechanisms.
3. Basic parameters of biotechnological process. Specific features of production of primary and secondary metabolites.
4. Production of organic acids, polysaccharides, sugars and derivatives by microorganisms and plynts.
5. Proteins and enzymes. Enzyme biotechnologies, production of industrially significant enzymes.
6. Biotrenasformations - principle, examples.
7. Antibiotics, cytostatics.
8.Alkaoids - overview, production, legislation.
9. Vitamins - production, technology.
10. Phenolic compounds, lignans, flavonoids, chinones; pigments and terpenes, steroids, carotenoids and their biotechnological production.
11. Plant cell and tissue cultures.
12. Animal cell cultures, tissue cultures and theis applications. Stem cells.
The aim of the course is extension of knowledge about microorganism abilities to synthesize simple and complicated molecules, enzymes and polymers. The aim is not to know all details about technology but above all to understand well methods leading to affect the process via changing metabolism of carbon or other nutrients and their control. Strerss is put on construction of productive strains.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Lectures are not obligatory, but recommended.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPCP_CHMA Master's
specialization CHBL , 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme NPCP_MA Master's
branch NPCO_MA , 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme NKCP_CHPL Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme NPCP_CHPL Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory