Measurements for Audio and Acoustics
FEKT-MPC-AMAAcad. year: 2021/2022
The subject is focused on measurements of audio equipment, acoustic and electroacoustic measurement according to international recommendations in these fields. Laboratory practices are focused on the realization of projects in LabView and Matlab for the automated measurement of audio equipment, electroacoustic devices and noise in various industrial measuring systems and bulk processing of measured data, especially using VBA programming language. In laboratory exercises, the Brüel & Kjaer, Audio Precision and NTi Audio measuring systems are used.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
On completion of the course, students are able to:
- create an automated measurement project for typical applications in acoustics, electroacoustics and audio engineering,
- perform bulk processing of measured data using a spreadsheet editor,
- create and edit macros in the VBA for bulk processing of measured data,
- create functions in VBA for remote control of automated measurement systems.
Recommended optional programme components
AES17-2015, AES standard method for digital audio engineering - Measurement of digital audio equipment. Audio Engineering Society, Inc., 2015. (EN)
BALLOU, Glen. A sound engineer´s guide to audio test and measurement. Amsterdam: Elsevier, Focal Press, 2009, vi, 179 s. ISBN 978-0-240-81265-6. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
- Lectures provide explanations of the basic principles, subject methodology, examples of problems and their solutions.
- Laboratory exercises support practical mastering of the themes presented in lectures. Active participation of students is required.
Participation in lectures is recommended. Participation in other ways of instruction is checked.
Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
In the case of distance learning, laboratory excercises are replaced by homework evaluated with the same number of points. The exam will take place in person, in justified cases remotely.
Language of instruction
2. Methods of sound systems analysis: closed and open loop measurements, narrowband and wideband measurement signals, MLS, TDS methods and two-channel spectral analysis, spectrum analysis using bandpass filters and DFT, analysis of nonlinear systems. Equalization and compensation of measuring chain delay.
3. Measurement of audio devices: terminology and calculation methods according to IEC 60268-1, measurement of amplifiers according to IEC 60268-3, measurement of digital audio devices according to AES17, measurement of multichannel devices.
4. Measurement of acoustic quantities: measurement environment, anechoic, semi-anechoic and reverberation chamber, measurement of emission levels of sound pressure, measurement of noise and noise exposure, measurement of sound intensity, measurement of acoustic power by measuring intensity and by integration of sound pressure, noise sources identification
5. Sound level meter: microphone, preamplifier, quality classes of sound level meters; calibration of the measuring chain - acoustic, electroacoustic, reciprocal calibration, calibration in free and diffusion field.
6. Measurement uncertainties, basics of metrology – measurement devices, standards, calibration and verification.
7. Measurement of microphones: impedance, sensitivity, frequency and directional characteristics, nonlinearity, dynamic range, measurement of microphone parameters according to IEC 60268-4.
8. Loudspeaker measurement: near and far field measurement, loudspeaker installation, test signals, impedance, sensitivity, frequency and directional characteristics, harmonic, differential, modulation and rub & buzz distortion, loudspeaker parameter measurement according to IEC 60268-5, TS parameter measurement.
9. Measurement of headphones: construction of headphones, acoustic impedance of the ear and its simulation, types of ear simulators and their properties, measurement of headphone parameters according to IEC 60268-7.
10. Subjective methods of quality and comprehensibility evaluation: C-V-C tests, RT and DRT tests, MOS, ABX, ABS, MUSHRA methods; practical implementation of tests. Objective methods of assessment of quality and intelligibility: articulation index, evaluation of speech intelligibility by speech transmission index according to IEC 60268-16, perceptual approach to sound and speech quality assessment.
11. - 13. Professional lecture - case studies of measurements in acoustics, electroacoustics and measurement of audio equipment.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Type of course unit
Teacher / Lecturer
Teacher / Lecturer