FEKT-MPC-EL2Acad. year: 2021/2022
The course is focused on deepening theoretical knowledge in the field of sound waves, acoustic transmitters and receivers and physiological and psychological acoustics. It also deals with the basic models of electroacoustic transmitters and receivers and their parameters, principles and technologies of sound lossy coding, spatial information coding and representation of 2D and 3D sound fields. Theoretical knowledge acquired in lectures is applied in computer exercises in the Matlab environment. The course ends with the elaboration of an individual project.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- describe the frequency and directional characteristics of ideal sound sources,
- explain the principles of spatial and directional hearing,
- employ devices for multi-channel capture and reproduction of sound,
- describe methods of propagation of sound in an enclosed space and describe methods of simulation of the propagation,
- enumerate and explain the principles of sound field analysis methods based on perceptual and physical principles,
- explain the principle of sound field synthesis using WFS, ambisonic and VBAP,
- explain the principles of lossy compression of audio signals including compression of spatial sound formats.
Recommended optional programme components
Spanias, Andreas: Audio Signal Processing and Coding. 2007. ISBN 978-0-471-79147-8
Gardner, William G.: 3-D Audio Using Loudspeakers. 1998. ISBN 0-7923-8156-4
Williams, Earl G.: Fourier Acoustics : Sound Radiation and Nearfield Acoustical Holography . 1999. ISBN 0-12-753960-3
HILL, Geoff. Loudspeaker Modelling and Design: A Practical Introduction. 1. Routledge, 2018. ISBN 9780815361329.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
In the case of distance learning, tests in practice are performed remotely in e-learning and the evaluation of the subject does not change. The exam will take place in person, in justified cases remotely.
Language of instruction
2. Acoustic transmitters
4. Acoustic receivers
6. Physiological acoustics
7. Spatial sound reproduction
8. Principles of lossy audio coding
9. Audio coding standards
10. 3D audio for headphones
11. 3D audio for speakers
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Type of course unit
Teacher / Lecturer
Exercise in computer lab
Teacher / Lecturer