Alternative Energy Sources
FEKT-MPC-AZEAcad. year: 2021/2022
The course deals with contemporary issues in the field of alternative energy with a focus on description, classification and principles of energy from wind, solar, hydro, geothermal, energy of environment, biomass to energy of atomic nuclei and electrochemical energy. Students will receive information about how to install, use and about perspectives of alternative energy sources. Practical information students will obtain also in laboratory measurements aimed at testing and simulation of parameters of photovoltaic cells, panels and photovoltaic systems combined with accumulators of electric energy.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Explain the importance of basic concepts in the field of renewable energy
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of renewable energy sources
- Design a suitable location for wind power plants in the Czech Republic
- Measure and calculate the properties and characteristics of photovoltaic cell or panel, design the simple autonomous photovoltaic system
- Describe the structure and operating principle of solar collectors, focusing collectors and chemes of different types of solar thermal power plants
- List the different types of energy using of rivers, seas and oceans
- Describe the principle of operation of various geothermal power plants
- Explain the operating principle of a heat pump and classify them according to the used source of low-potential heat
- List the distribution of biomass and its use in energetics
- Describe the principle of controlled thermonuclear fusion and thermonuclear power plant
- Explain the importance of basic concepts in electrochemistry (half-cells, cells, types of electrodes, electrochemical potentials)
- Classify and describe the different types of primary electrochemical power sources
Recommended optional programme components
Vojtěchovský, K., Obnovitelné zdroje energie, FCC Public, Praha (CS)
Dell, R.M.a Rand, D.J., Clean energy, Athenaeum Press Ltd, UK (EN)
Boyle, G., Renewable Energy, Oxford University Press, USA (EN)
Quaschning, V., Understanding Renewable Energy Systems, Earthscan Publications Ltd., USA (EN)
KŘIVÍK, P.; VANĚK, J., Obnovitelné zdroje energie, elektronické texty (skripta), 2015 (CS)
KŘIVÍK, P., Obnovitelné zdroje energie - Laboratorní cvičení, , elektronické texty (skripta), 2015 (CS)
Volker Quaschning, Obnovitelné zdroje energií (CS)
Jean-Claude Sabonnadière, Renewable Energy Technologies (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
labolatory - max. 40p
final exam - max 60p
Requirements for successful completion of the subject can be specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
Wind energy and its utilization, wind power plants.
Solar energy and its applications, photovoltaic cells.
Solar collectors - construction, distribution, solar ovens and solar power plants.
Energy of water, water power plants - description, distribution, marine energy - classification, description and its application.
Earth's energy, geothermal energy, geothermal power plants.
Energy of environment and its utilization, heat pumps, distribution, construction, description.
Biomass, its distribution and uses, environmental aspects. Biomass power plants.
Energy of atomic nuclei, nuclear fusion, principles, ways to achieve and use, thermonuclear power plant - description, future development.
Additional sources of energy - basic concepts, electrochemical cell, electrochemical potential, electrolysis, electrodes.
Primary cells - classification, description, structure, properties and applications.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MPC-EEN Master's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme MPC-EAK Master's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme MPC-EVM Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme MPC-EKT Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional