Methodology of Scientific Work
FEKT-MPC-MVPAcad. year: 2021/2022
The course will be a practical introduction into basics of technical and scientific writing and presentation making. Course covers also the methodologies in science and research and gives an overview of financial sources for science support in Czech Republic and EU.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will be able to discuss problems in evaluation of scientific results, will be able to search relevant information in scientific databases (Web of Science, Scopus). He will be able to analyze scientific text to relevant parts and will be able to apply this knowledge in practical situation, e.g. writing technical or scientific texts. Student will be able to describe possibilities in science funding in Czech Republic and EU.
The general knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
R. A. Day: How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper, Greenwood Press, 2006
S. Čmejrková, F. Daneš, J. Světlá: Jak napsat odborný text, Praha, Leda, 1999
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to write a single project during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Individual projects focused on utilization of Internet scientific sources are solved by students. These projects are evaluated by teacher and discussed with students.
Language of instruction
1. Writitng technical documents.
2. Formal requirements for technical documents.
3. Word processors (MS Word, LaTeX, OpenOffice Writer).
4. Bibliographic citations.
5. Software tools for managing bibliographies (RefWorks, EndNote).
6. Information sources on Internet.
7. Presentation of research results.
8. Evaluation of research results using statistical methodology.
9. Science and research - concepts.
10. Methodology for basic and applied research.
11. Clinical studies - aims and types.
12. Phases of the research projects.
13. Grants and sources of grants in Czech Republic and EU.
The aim of this course is to provide a fundamental orientation in writing scientific and technical texts, in basic terminology from research and science and in possibilities of research funding in Czech Republic and EU.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Hand in the projects and presentation is obligatory.