FEKT-BPC-NARAcad. year: 2021/2022
Telecommunication networks, network convergence and service integration. OSI reference model. Data networks, types, data transmission techniques. Network topologies, cabling systems. Network interconnection elements - hubs, switches, routers. Routing techniques. Network technologies - Ethernet, Token Ring, FDDI, DQDB. Virtual LANs. TCP/IP protocol set. Internet, e-mail, remote access, file transfer, www service - HTTP, HTML language. Data network security. Network administration.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will get knowledge from the area of principles of data networks, protocol sets, properties of various types of LANs, MANs, WANs, about the Internet and its services
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level and an intermediate level of English language knowledge are required
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
NOVOTNÝ, V. Architektura sítí. FEKT VUT v Brně, 2011. ISBN ISBN 80-214-2254-8,
PUŽMANOVÁ, R. Moderní komunikační sítě od A do Z. Computer Press, ISBN 80-251-1278-0, ČR, 2006
CISCO: Internetworking Technologies Handbook. Cisco Press, ISBN 1-58705-001-3, USA, 2001
MARCHESE, M. QoS over heterogenous network. John Wiley & Sons, 2007. ISBN 978-0-470-01752-4, UK, 2007
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in Article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
- 2 projects and 3 laboratory exercises in scope of laboratory lessons - a total of max. 30 points
- final written exam - max. 70 points
Language of instruction
- Telecommunication networks - network classification, circuit-switched and packet-switched networks, convergence of network technologies, service integration.
- Communication services - service division, demands, service description. Network convergence and services integration - reasons, conditions, data transmission techniques.
- ISO/OSI reference model - layers, their functions. Connection oriented and connectionless services, reliable and unreliable services.
- Cable systems. Channel encoding techniques. Transmission capacity sharing techniques.
- Data networks - characteristics, LANs - types, features, topologies, network elements. Computing architectures in data networks: terminal-server, client-server, peer-to-peer. Network applications.
- Network interconnection elements - repeaters, HUBs, bridges, switches, routers, gateways. Routing techniques in LANs and WANs.
- Ethernet technology - 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 1000 Mbps, 10 Gbps, 40/100 Gbps - description, standards, access method, network cards, frame formats.
- Virtual LANs - types, administration. Other data network technologies - Token Ring, FDDI, DQDB.
- Wireless LANs - architectures, IEEE 802.11 standard family, access methods, frame format, physical layer of various standards, communication procedures, WLAN network security,
- Reference model TCP/IP - description, addressing, protocols ARP, BOOTP, DHCP.
- Routing - protocols IP, ICMP, RIP, OSPF, domain name system - DNS. Transport protocols - TCP, UDP.
- Application protocols - www service HTTP, file transfer FTP, e-mail service - SMTP, secure shell SSH.
- Network management - model agent-manager, structure of network element properties - network elements description database MIB, SNMP protocol, administration tools.
The goal is to pass to students sufficient information about data networks, means of network communication, network administration, about the Internet and its services.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.