Hydraulic and Pneumatic Mechanisms
FSI-GHP-AAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course provides students with basic information about the structure of hydrostatic and pneumatic circuits (power and control circuits). The acquired knowledge is a necessary condition for further work in various technical fields, such as designing and projection of the machinery devices with the assistance of hydraulic and pneumatic components. In the laboratory tutorials the students are made familiar with the particular components used for the structure of hydraulic and pneumatic circuits. Also dealt will be the functions, properties and characteristics of that circuits. The tutorials will include also practical exercises concerning the synthesis and the analysis of hydraulic and pneumatic circuits.
Offered to foreign students
The home faculty only
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students acquire general knowledge necessary for: projection and designing of manufacturing machines and devices, mechanization and automation technology by using hydrostatic and pneumatic mechanisms. They are also made familiar with measurement methodology applied for basic characteristics of hydraulic components, and the methods of processing the results in an adequate form of written reports.
Basic knowledge of fluid mechanisms and drives in machinary.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Chaimowitsch, F. E. M. : Ölhydraulik
Vaďura, J.: Hydraulické a pneumatické mechanismy, skriptum FS VUT v Brně
Pivoňka, J.: Tekutinové mechanismy
Merritt, H. E.: Hydraulic Control Systems
Backé, W.: Grundlagen der Pneumatik
Zoebl, H.: Pneumatické stroje a přístroje
Nepraž, F., Nevrlý, J., Peňáz, V., Třetina, K.: Modelování systémů s hydraulickými mechanismy, vydal Bosch Rexroth, spol s. r. o. Brno v r. 2002
Flieger, J., Vyšín, M.: Hydraulické a pneumatické mechanismy - návody do cvičení, řešené příklady, Studijní opora FSI VUT v Brně 2004
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work. According to the possibility of teaching can be organized lectures for students by invited practitioners and excursions to companies focused on activities related to the course content.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions to obtain the credit:
1. Attendance at laboratory tutorials – 100 %.
2. Properly elaborated and approved reports from the laboratory tutorials.
Language of instruction
Are not organised.
The aim of the course is to provide students with knowledge of construction of hydrostatic devices principally from the user aspect. They will be cognizant of properties of already in praxis constructed and tested devices, and apply the acquired knowledge in designing and projection of manufacturing machines, industrial robots, manipulators (including peripheral equipment and end effectors), and manipulation devices in general.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The lessons take the form of lectures and it is very helpful to attend them because it is useful for passing the examination (oral and written).
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Hydrostatic and pneumatic circuits division
2. Hydrostatic mechanisms
3. Hydrostatic circuits diagrams
4. The control of flow dimension
5. Closed and compound hydraulic circuits
6. Hydraulic control circuits
7. Servomechanisms and servomotors
8. Hydraulic circuits components
9. Translate and rotate hydromotors
10. Directional valves and flow valves
11. Additional hydraulic components
12. Power and control pneumatic circuits
13. Output and control power circuits, logic pneumatic components in according Industry 4.0
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction to laboratory
2. Gear pump characteristics
3. Valves flow characteristics
4. Hydraulic circuit synthesis
5. The compound hydraulic circuit analysis
6. Constructional implementation of hydraulic components
7. Introduction to exercises concerning pneumatic circuits
8. Pneumatic circuits simulation on PC
9. Assembling of hydraulic and pneumatic circuits on a testing technique
10. Throttling ways for the velocity control of pneumatic motors
11. Complex pneumatic circuits simulation
12. Assembling of pneumatic circuits on a testing technique
13. Pneumatic circuits simulation with the reciprocal link of motions, pneumatic circuits testing
eLearning: opened course