Metal Bridges II (KON)
FAST-CO05Acad. year: 2020/2021
Box-girder bridges - specification of structural and static design. Composite steel-concrete bridges - structural design, basic principles of static design, errection of bridges.
Bevelled bridges and curved bridges - specification of structural and static design.
Arched bridges and frame bridges - principles of structural and static design.
Suspended and cable-stayed bridges - principles of structural and static design.
Special bridges - informative view.
Assembly of metal bridges.
Bridge supports. Assembly of bridges.
Examples of realized bridge structures.
Institute of Metal and Timber Structures (KDK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will learn the problems of the course and will get under controll the course aims, within the meaning of obtaining knowledge and skills in the field of design of more complicated structural systems of metal and steel-concrete bridges, concretized in the course schedule.
Design of members, components and connections of steel structures. Metal bridges - plated-girder and truss-girder bridges. Design of members and components of concrete structures. Static solution of truss structures and arches including influence lines. Basis of static solution of cable-stayed and suspended structures. Basis of structural dynamics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Faltus, F.: Ocelové mosty příhradové, obloukové a visuté. Academia Praha, 1971. (CS)
Pechar, J. - Bureš, J. - Schindler, A.: Kovové mosty. SNTL Alfa Praha, 1990. (CS)
Johnson, R.P., Buckby, R.J.: Composite Structures of Steel and Concrete-Vol. 2.: Bridges. COLLINS London, 1986. (EN)
Tomica, V. - Sokolík, A. - Zemko, Š.: Údržba a rekonštrukcia mostov. Alfa Bratislava, 1992. (SK)
SCI-The Steel Construction Institute: ESDEP-European Steel Design Education Programme. U.K., 2000. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Box girder bridges - specific features of box girder bridges, principles of structure analysis, torsion of box girder bridges.
2. Composite steel-concrete bridges - girders with elastic action (principles of structure analysis and design).
3. Composite steel-concrete bridges - girders with plastic action (principles of structure analysis and design).
4. Composite steel-concrete bridges - shear connectors (types, structural design, principles of design).
5. Bevelled bridges - principles of structural configuration, principles of structure analysis.
6. Curved bridges - principles of structural configuration, principles of structure analysis.
7. Arched bridges - types of arched bridges, structural configuration, basic principles of structure analysis.
8. Arched bridges - structure analysis differences, frame bridges.
9. Suspended and cable-stayed bridges - principles of structural configuration, materials and solution of structural members.
10. Suspended and cable-stayed bridges - principles of structure analysis.
11. Steel and steel-concrete bridge supports - types, structural design and structure analysis.
12. Special kind of bridges - pre-loaded bridges, temporary bridges, movable bridges, pipeline bridges (basic information).
13. Production and assembly of steel bridge structures.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquires knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.