Metal Bridges I
FAST-BO09Acad. year: 2020/2021
Basic concepts. Steel bridges design standards.
Actions on bridges. Metal bridges design rules. Bridge superstructure and deck – road and railway bridges.
Steel girder bridges – web-plate girder bridges, truss girder bridges.
Composite steel-concrete bridges – basic information.
Methods of securing space rigidity and global stability of steel bridges. Bridge equipment and fittings.
Institute of Metal and Timber Structures (KDK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will learn the problems of the course and will get under controll the course aims, within the meaning of obtaining knowledge and skills in the field of design of basic structural systems of metal and steel-concrete bridges, concretized in the course schedule.
Structural mechanics: static solution - simple and continue girders, truss structures, arches, influence lines. Metal structures: design of elements and connections of steel structures.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Faltus, F.: Plnostěnné ocelové mosty trámové. Praha SNTL, 1965. (CS)
Johnson, R.P., Bucky, R.J.: Composite Structures of Steel and Concrete – Vol. 2.: Bridges. COLLINS, 1986. (EN)
Pechar, J., Bureš, J., Schindler,A.: Kovové mosty. SNTL Alfa Praha, 1990. (CS)
Troitsky, M.S.: Planning and Design of Bridges. John Willey and Sons, 1994. (EN)
Faltus, F.: Ocelové mosty příhradové, obloukové a visuté. Academia Praha, 1971. (CS)
Wai-Fah Chen, Lian Duan: Bridge Engeneering Handbook. CRC Press, 1999. (EN)
SCI-The Steel Construction Institute: ESDEP-European Steel Design Education Programme. U.K., 2000. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Basic concepts, bridge terminology, main part of the bridge, normative documents for design and implementation of the steel structures.
2. Bridge construction loading. Loading of the road bridges. Climatic loading.
3. Reliability and limit states of the steel bridges buildings.
4. Fatigue of the steel bridges construction.
5. Bridge superstructure and deck of the railway bridges - basic types, structural design rules.
6. Bridge superstructure and deck of the road bridges - basic types, structural design rules.
7. Bridges with open decks - static design of deck members.
8. Plate steel decks (orthotropic deck) - structural design rules, shear lag of wide chord.
9. Composite steel-concrete girders - basic principles and designed rules.
10. Grid of beams - basic rules of construction system and structural design principles.
11. Beam bridge with plate main girder of the open and closed section.
12. Beam bridge with truss main girder.
13. Bracing of the bridge constructions - types, function, loading, static determination. Bridge accessories and attachment.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquires knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.