Metal Bridges II
FAST-0O7Acad. year: 2020/2021
Truss-girder bridges - types of main girders, structural principles, calculation models. Provision of a space rigidity - longitudinal bracing, lateral bracing, wind portals. Oblique bridges and curved bridges. Composite steel-concrete bridges - structural principles, static calculation including the fasteners, possibilities of a usage, assembly and its influence on a load-bearing capacity. Arch bridges - structural principles, static calculation. Pendent and suspension bridges - structural principles, static calculation. Assembly approaches. Examples of realized bridge structures.
Institute of Metal and Timber Structures (KDK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Metal structures - design of elements and connections of steel structures. Metal bridges - plated-girder and truss-girder bridges. Concrete structures - design of elements od concrete structures.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Faltus,F.: Ocelové mosty příhradové, obloukové a visuté. Academia Praha 1971
Pechar,J., Bureš,J., Schindler,J.,: Kovové mosty. SNTL Praha 1990
Johnson,R.P., Buckby,R.J.: Composite Structures of Steel and Concrete - Vol.2: Bridges. COLLINS London 1986
SCI - The Steel Construction Institute: ESDEP-European Steel Design Education Programme. SCI London 2000
Tomica,V., Sokolík,A., Zemko,Š.: Údržba a rekonštrukcia mostov. Alfa Bratislava 1992
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Box girder bridges - specific features of box girder bridges, principles of structure analysis, torsion of box girder bridges.
2. Composite steel-concrete bridges - girders with elastic action (principles of structure analysis and design).
3. Composite steel-concrete bridges - girders with plastic action (principles of structure analysis and design).
4. Composite steel-concrete bridges - shear connectors (types, structural design, principles of design).
5. Bevelled bridges - principles of structural configuration, principles of structure analysis.
6. Curved bridges - principles of structural configuration, principles of structure analysis.
7. Arched bridges - types of arched bridges, structural configuration, basic principles of structure analysis.
8. Arched bridges - structure analysis differences, portal-frame bridges.
9. Suspended and cable-stayed bridges - principles of structural configuration, materials and solution of structural members.
10. Suspended and cable-stayed bridges - principles of structure analysis.
11. Steel and steel-concrete bridge supports - types, structural design and structure analysis.
12. Special kind of bridges - pre-loaded bridges, temporary bridges, movable bridges, pipeline bridges (basic information).
13. Production and assembly of steel bridge structures.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquires knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.