Metal Bridges I
FAST-0O6Acad. year: 2020/2021
The basic concepts. Terminology of bridges. Prescriptive basis for the design. Principles of the design of metal bridges. Loading of bridge structures. Bridge superstructure and deck - bridges for ground communications and railroad bridges. Accessories and equipment of bridges. Bridges with a main plain girders - bridges for ground communications and railroad bridges. Assurance of a space rigidity. Bearings, bridge locks. Examples of realized bridge structures.
Institute of Metal and Timber Structures (KDK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Structural mechanics: static solution - simple and continue girders, truss structures, arches, influence lines. Metal structures: design of elements and connections of steel structures.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Faltus, F.: Plnostěnné ocelové mosty trámové. SNTL Praha 1965
Pechar,J., Bureš,J., Schindler,A.: Kovové mosty. SNTL Alfa Praha 1990
Troitsky,M.S.: Planning and Design of Bridges. John Willea and Sons 1994
Faltus,F.: Ocelové mosty příhradové, obloukové a visuté. Academia Praha 1971
Wai-Fah Chen, Lian Duan: Bridge Engineering Handbook. CRC Press 1999
SCI-The Steel Construction Institute: ESDEP-European Steel Design Education Programme. SCI London 2000
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Basic concepts, bridge terminology, main part of the bridge, normative documents for design and implementation of the steel structures.
2. Bridge construction loading. Loading of the road bridges. Climatic loading.
3. Reliability and limit states of the steel bridges buildings.
4. Fatigue of the steel bridges construction.
5. Bridge superstructure and deck of the railway bridges - basic types, structural design rules.
6. Bridge superstructure and deck of the road bridges - basic types, structural design rules.
7. Bridges with open decks - static design of deck members.
8. Plate steel decks (orthotropic deck) - structural design rules, shear lag of wide chord.
9. Grid of beams - basic rules of construction system and structural design principles.
10. Beam bridge with plate main girder of the open and closed section.
11. Beam bridge with truss main girder.
12. Bracing of the bridge constructions - types, function, loading, static determination
13. Bridge accessories and attachment.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquires knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.