Medical Information Systems
FEKT-LZISAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course is oriented to principles of information systems, database systems and query languages. It is focused on getting knowledge about patient data and computerized patient record. It discusses a computer as a component of diagnostic, therapeutic, and administrative systems, hierarchy and function of medical information systems, speciality of ethics and security of medical data in information systmes. It introduces coding systems - mandatory and optional in terms of Czech legislation, connection of medical information systems, and standards used for transmission of medical data and images.
Laboratory exercises are further focused on conversion between numeral systems and ASCII code. Information system called PC Doktor is presented. Students are familiarized with telemedicine project. Laboratory information system is desribed and tested in detail.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will be able to:
- describe basic structures of medical information systems,
- explain fundamental terms of electronic health records,
- describe principle of basic methods for processing of data in information systems,
- discus advantages and disadvantages of the methods,
- work with clinical information system.
The student should be able to explain fundamental principles of data processing, should know basic terms of healthcare processes and should be oriented in basic knowledge of database systems. Generally, knowledge of mathematics on the level of Bachelor study is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
van Bemmel, J.H. (ed.): Yearbook of Medical Informatics. Schattauer, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000. (EN)
Gardarin, G: Relational Databases and Knowledge Bases. Addison Wesley Co., 1999. (EN)
Pokorný, J.: Databázové systémy a jejich použití v informačních systémech. Academia, Praha, 1992. (CS)
MUNZ, J. Informační technologie ve zdravotnictví - Informační systémy. ČVUT Praha, 2011. ISBN 978-80-01-04720-0. (CS)
ŠPUNDA, M., DUŠEK, J. a kol. Zdravotnická informatika. Karolinum, Praha, 2007. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
up to 30 points from computer exercises (1 individual project, 1 test)
up to 70 points from finel oral exam
The exam is oriented to verification of orientation in terms of medical information systems and ability to define a structure of medical information systems.
Language of instruction
1. Czech health care organization and health care information systems.
2. Database systems, database models.
3. Computer as a part of diagnostic, therapeutic, and administrative systems.
4. Hospital information systems.
5. Hospital information systems based on a centralized or distributed database.
6. Computerized patient record, medical data.
7. Electronic Health Record - the concept of e-Health.
8. Communication between different information systems, data standards.
9. Principles of construction of hospital information systems.
10. Data security, specifics of ethics in medical information systems.
11. Accounting for health care.
12. Planning systems, call systems.
13. Management information systems.
The aim of the course is to inform students about principles of specification of medical data regarding its processing by diagnostic systems and medical information systems, provide information about structure of medical data representation, its role in diagnostic systems and concepts of medical information systems.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Computer exercises are obligatory. Excused absence can be substituted.