Computer Graphics Principles
FEKT-BPC-IZGAcad. year: 2020/2021
Overview of fundamental principles of computer graphics (vector and raster based) and his consequence for real graphical applications. Specification of plane (2D) and space (3D) computer graphics basic operations. Specification of principles and using of main graphical interfaces, namely: Win32 API and OpenGL. 2D methods and algorithms for: lines, circles and curves (Bezier, B-spline, NURBS) rasterisation, line objects trimming, closed areas filling. 3D methods and algorithms for: objects transformations, 3D objects visibility solution, lighting, shading and texturing. 3D scenes photorealistic visualization methods. 3D objects geometry representation methods. Signal image processing, antialiasing methods.<br>
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Subject specific knowledge and abilities:<ul><li>Student acquaints with the basic principles of plane (2D) and space (3D) computer graphics.</li><li>He/she learns the fundamentals of using main graphical programming interfaces, Win32 API and OpenGL.</li><li>He/she acquaints with the 2D algorithms for line objects rasterisation, trimming and closed regions filling.</li><li>He/she acquaints with the 3D algorithms for objects 3D objects transformations, visibility solution, lighting, shading and texturing.</li><li>He/she learns the fundamentals of 3D scenes photorealistic visualization.</li><li>He/she learns the fundamental of 3D objects geometry representations.</li><li>He/she acquaints with signal image processing and antialiasing.</li><li>He/she learns practical implementation of vector and raster based graphical applications.</li></ul>
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Žára, J., Beneš, B., Felkel, P., Moderní počítačová grafika, ComputerPress, 1999
Materiály k přednáškám "Základy počítačové grafiky"
Foley, J., D., et al., Computer Graphics: Principles and Practise, Addison-Wesley, 1992
Watt, A., 3D Computer Graphics, Addison-Wesley, 1993
Watt, A., Policarpo, F., The Computer Image, Addison-Wesley, 1998
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
<ul><li>Evaluated home assignments, 6 x 5 bodů - 30 points</li><li>Mid-term written examination - 20 point</li><li>Final written examination - 50 points</li><li>Passing bounary for ECTS assessment - 50 points</li></ul>
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to Computer graphics (CG), basic priciples. Colors and color models. Color space reduction, black&white images.
2. Rasterisation of basic vector entities. Region filling.
3. 2D clipping.
4. 2D and 3D transformations.
5. Curves in CG.
6. Introduction to graphics API.
7. 3D objects representation.
8. 3D objects visibility.
9. Lighting models and smooth sufrace shading. Raytracing and radiosity.
12. Introduction to OpenGL I.
13. Introduction to OpenGL II.
Basic attribute of ECTS:
To provide overview of basics principles of plane(2D) space (3D) computer graphics. To acquaint with the vector based objects displaying algorithms and methods in 2D and 3D scenes, namely: 2D objects rasterisation and trimming, 2D closed areas filling, objects transformations, 3D objects visibility solution, lighting, shading and texturing. To acquaint with the basic principles of the main graphical interfaces, namely Win32 API and OpenGL. To overrule the implementation and using of the interfaces in real graphical applications.<br>
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
- Programme BPC-AMT Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-IBE Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-SEE Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-TLI Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, elective