Technology of Forming
FSI-CTTAcad. year: 2018/2019
A comprehensive overview of basic manufacturing technologies in cold and hot forming area. It contains physical and metallurgical fundamentals of mentioned technologies. Basis chapters are laws of plastic deformation, production methods of metallurgical raw products and forming technologies used in mechanical engineering - sheet metal forming and bulk forming (blanking, bending, drawing, extrusion, hammer forging and die forging, molding of plastics).
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The lectures and seminars will enable students to acquire knowledge of all kinds of so-called conventional and unconventional technologies, which are used in engineering plants for processing of sheets, pipes and profiles with using the sheet metal forming and solid forming carried out under cold and hot. They will get acquainted with the calculate methodology of the energo-power parameters and other important parameters of the forming processes, too.
The basic knowledge of the manufacturing technology, of the used manufacturing machines and equipments and of the knowledge of the manufacture mechanization. Appropriate knowledge of the technological courses I. year of study.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
FOREJT, Milan. Teorie tváření. 2. vyd. Brno: Akademické nakladatelství CERM, 2004. 167 s. ISBN 80-214-2764-7. (CS)
SAMEK, Radko a Eva ŠMEHLÍKOVÁ. Speciální technologie tváření: Část I. 1. vyd. Brno: Akademické nakladatelství CERM, 2010. ISBN 978-80-214-4220-7. (CS)
DVOŘÁK, Milan, František GAJDOŠ a Karel NOVOTNÝ. Technologie tváření: plošné a objemové tváření. 3. vyd. Brno: CERM, 2013. 169 s. ISBN 978-80-214-4747-9. (CS)
HOSFORD, William F. and Robert M. CADDEL. Metal Forming: Mechanics and Metalurgy. 3th ed. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2007. 365 s. ISBN 978-0-521-88121-0. (EN)
MARCINIAK, Zdislaw, J.L. DUNCAN and S.J. HU. Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming. 2.ed. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2002. 211 s. ISBN 07-506-5300-00. (EN)
ELFMARK, Jiří, et al. Tváření kovů. Ing.Pavel Vávra. 1. vyd. Praha: SNTL Praha 1992. 542 s. Technický průvodce; sv. 62. ISBN 80-03-00651-1 (CS)
LIDMILA, Zdeněk. Teorie a technologie tváření. Brno: RVO VA, 1994. 214 s (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures which are focused on basic principles and theories of the individual sectors. The teaching is completed by practical laboratory exercises.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The course-unit credits award is based on attendance at seminars, correct elaboration of computational assignment and active participation in its processing.
The final exam will be composed of written and oral part. It is classificated to the ECTS grading scale.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the technologies of the metallurgical production and the modern technology (conventional and unconventional), which refine and supplement of the basic technologies.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance in lectures is recommended.
Attendance in exercises is compulsory. The attendance to the seminar is regularly checked and the participation in the lesson is recorded. The missed lesson is possible to replace with another study group in the same week. In case, that the lesson does not possible to replace, the student will elaborate the complemental task.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Plastic behavior of metals, forming limit diagrams, material models
2. Principles of the manufacturing method of the semiproduct producing in metall industry - sheet metals, profiles and pipes
3. Blanking technology - process principles and parameters, forming tools and machines
4. Bending and rolling technology - process principles, parameters, forming tools and machines
5. Deep drawing and metal spinning technology - process principles, parameters, forming tools and machines
6. Extrusion technology - process principles, parameters, forming tools and machines
7. Forging technology - process principles, parameters, forming tools and machines
8. Flexible tools forming - process principles, parameters, forming tools and machines
9. Unconventional methods of forming - process principles, parameters, forming tools and machines
10. The structure and properties of plastic materials
11. Injection moulding technology and injection moulding machines
12. Injection moulds, description of injection mould functional systems
13. Revision of subject matter, overview of questions for the exam
labs and studios
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Technological parameters of upsetting and extruding of steel
2. Design of manufacturing process of simple component - gear - using die forging hammer
3. Design of manufacturing process of complex part - connecting rods - using die forging
4. Design of manufacturing process of component using blanking technology
5. Design of manufacturing process of component using bending and fine blanking technology
6. Design of manufacturing process of component using deep drawing technology
7. Linear approximation of stress-strain curve
8. Forming limit diagrams and their importance in practice
9. Utilization of plasticity conditions for design of manufacturing process of pressure vessel
10. Calculation of injection mould multiplicity
11. Strength calculations of injection mould and thermal balance
12. Venting of injection moulds
13. Correction of elaborates and course-unit credits