Introduction to environmental studies
FEKT-LUENAcad. year: 2015/2016
The course introduces students of technological orientation into generic environmental problematic with connection to concept of sustainable development. In this concept, we will discuss aspects of technology, humanities and social sciences. The course focuses on the definition of actual state of the world, environmental and social issues and the consequences of economic development. Significant part of lecture will be dedicated to measurement of sustainability - so called indicators. Moreover, important global, EU and national legislation in the field of sustainability will be discussed. As one of the most important, we will discuss tools of sustainable production, e.g. cleaner production, BAT, LCA, corporate responsibility, integrated management system or EMAS, and tools of sustainable consumption.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
1) defend the meaning and importance of sustainable development in present world,
2) explain how the progression of environmental, social and economic issues corresponds with apparently unrelated disciplines such as technology, economy, ethics ets.
3) propose possible solutions of contemporary environmental issues in various levels- from personal to international level
4) analyse pros and cons of possible solutions,
5) assess contemporary aproaches to solving the national and international environmental issues,
6) interpret and debate results of up to now succesfull and unsuccesfull solutions of environmental issues.
Recommended optional programme components
Moldan, B. Podmaněná planeta, 2009, Univerzita Karlova v Praze, ISBN 978-80-246-1580-6
Meadows a kol., Limits to growth - The 30-year update, 2004, Earthscan, ISBN 978-1-84407-144-9
Homer-Dixon, T. The upside of down, 2006, Souvenir Press, ISBN 978-0-285-63794
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Final exam: 70 points.
The final exam verifies the understanding of the meaning and context of environmentalism.
Language of instruction
2) All the aspects of the sustainable development (SD) concept
3) Indicators of sustainability
4) Important international documents; international obligations of the Czech Rep
5) National environmental policy of the Czech Rep. and its development
6) Environmental policy of EU and UN.
7) Principles and strategy of cleaner production and realization of the cleaner production,
8) Environmental management of companies and the tools
9) Economical and legal tools of cleaner production
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-ML Master's
branch ML-BEI , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme EEKR-ML1 Master's
branch ML1-BEI , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, optional specialized