English for Bachelors - Intermediate 2
FIT-BAN4Acad. year: 2018/2019
Standardní kurs angličtiny pro středně pokročilé studenty zaměřený na obecnou i technickou angličtinu. Kurs je založen na integrovaném přístupu. Po gramatické části, která obsahuje různé komunikativní typy úkolů osvětlujících novou gramatiku, každá lekce zahrnuje úkoly pro četbu, poslech, psaní a mluvení. Během kursu dochází k velkému nárustu slovní zásoby. Cílem práce s technickými texty je výuka jazyka, nikoliv výuka odborného obsahu textu.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to:
- Use a wide range of vocabulary
- Apply newly acquired knowledge of grammar
- Understand, analyze, translate, paraphrase texts
- Understand, analyze, translate, paraphrase listenings
- Understand, follow and actively participate in simple conversations
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
K. Harding and A. Lane - International Express Intermediate, 3rd Edition, Student´s Book OUP, Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2014. -- 167 s.
Support for home-training: http://www.feec.vutbr.cz/UJAZ/evyuka
K. Harding and A. Lane - International Express Intermediate, 3rd Edition, Student´s Book OUP, Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2014.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include language seminars and homework. Students have to actively participate in classes.
Compulsory seminar are held every week and students are obliged to fulfill achievements as part of their homestudy.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The course takes over 13 weeks in the form of language exercises. Attendance at seminars is compulsory (75 %). Absence must be properly apologized. If the absence exceeds 75%, it must be compensated by students for missed hours.
75% attendance and active participation at classes, fulfilment of given assignments.
40% - semester test - evaluates the level of knowledge one has acquiered during the semester.
Language of instruction
The course provides students not only with knowledge of general English, but also with the vocabulary, grammar, and functions necessary to become operational in professional and social situations.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
30% - reading - evaluates and asseses the abilities to work with a written text, abilities to analyze, synthetize, paraphrase, organize and reproduce information from the text.
30% - listening - evaluates and asseses the abilities to understand spoken English, abilities to analyze, synthetize, paraphrase, organize and reproduce information from the listening.
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Introduction, Revision
- Past sp., past cont., Past perf.
- Giving presentations, describing problems and finding solutions
- Conditionals: Zero, 1st and 2nd
- Money and finance, emails, discussing and reaching agreements
- Passives: Present sp., present cont. present perf sp., past sp., will
- Product journey vocab., Time management, Checking understanding and clarifying
- Relative clauses
- Job interviews, describing personal qualities at work, changing plans
- 3rd Conditional, should have/shouldn´t have
- Gerund VS. Infinitive, Changing careers, teleconferencing
- Technical text, revision
- Semester test