Load-Bearing Structures 1
FAST-AL001Acad. year: 2020/2021
Principles and rules of design. Stress and its effect. Properties of the material for concrete structures. Design of reinforced concrete members stressed by the bending moment, normal, force, shearing force and by torsion. Essential types of the members. Members from plain concrete.
Design and realisation of steel load-bearing structures. Advantages and disadvantages of steel structures. Material and assortment of structural members. Principles and rules reliability, method of limit states. Joints of the steel structures. Tension frames. Bend of beams. Stability and buckling load-bearing capacity of compressed frames. Beams tilting. Load-bearing capacity of slender walls.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
• Virtue for designing reinforced concrete members and simple structures together with preparing relevant technical drawings.
• Virtue for designing steel members and their joints.
Recommended optional programme components
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
2. Stress and its effects on load-bearing structures, combination of stresses.
3. Properties of materials for concrete structures. Concrete structures sorting.
4. Ultimate strength – direct and bending stress.
5. Ultimate strength – shearing stress, torsion moment.
6.-7. Member of concrete structures- slabs, beams, girders, lintels. Structures of stairs. Plain concrete.
8.-9. Design and realisation of steel load-bearing structures. Material and assortment of structural members.
10. Principles and rules of steel structures reliability, method of the limit states.
11. Joints of steel structures – principles of design and structural solution.
12. Tension members. Bending of beams. Stability and buckling strength of compressed members of massive, jointed and compound sections.
13. Tilting of beams. Load-bearing capacity of slender walls.
To design steel members and their joints.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Type of course unit
Teacher / Lecturer
Teacher / Lecturer