Special Technology of Machining
FSI-HO1Acad. year: 2011/2012
The course is focused on the machining technology used with numeric control machine tools. Students will obtain basic knowledge of programming NC-machines, they will familiarise with the use of linear programming in the technology, especially for determining optimum cutting parameters, with solution of dimensional chains in TPV applying methods of mathematical statistics, theory of operating allowances, and with conventional, as well as prospective cutting tools used with NC-machines. Practical exercises are carried out on CNC educational machine tools and PCs, used especially for a simulation of the machining at NC- machines and solving of linear programming tasks.
The subject is directed to the machining technology on CNC machine tools. The students are given the basic knowledge in the programming of NC machine tools such as linear programming in technology, especially for determination of optimum cutting parameters, solution of dimensional chains with the application of mathematical statistics methods. Practical exercises are realised on CNC machine tools and PC especially by simulation
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The students will obtain theoretical fundamentals of a machining technology with the use of numeric control machine tools, they will learn basic methods of programming of these tools, and will be acquainted with economic aspects of technological disciplines.
The fundamentals of the metal cutting theory, probability theory, differential and integral calculus, determinants, dynamic of the mass point, mechanical work and energy, molecular physics and thermodynamics
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
KOCMAN, K. Speciální technologie obrábění. 3. ed. Brno: AKADEMICKÉ NAKLADATELSTVÍ CERM, s.r.o., 2004. 227 s. ISBN 80-214-2562-8.
KOCMAN, K. a kolektiv. Aktuální příručka pro technický úsek. 15. ed. Edit. S. Hanzlík, Praha, Verlag Dashöfer, 2000 3950 s. ISBN 80-902247-2-5. (CS)
KOCMAN, K., PROKOP, J. Technologie obrábění. Brno: AKADEMICKÉ NAKLADATELSTVÍ CERM, s.r.o., 2003. 271 s. ISBN 80-214-1996-2. (CS)
SHAW, M. C. Metal Cutting Principles. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, 2005. 651 pp. ISBN 0-19-514206-3. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit requirements include an active participation in the exercises, completing all tasks in the laboratory exercises, and delivery of all required written work. In well-founded cases the teacher can set further conditions as a compensation. The examination tests the knowledge and, in particular, the ability to apply the knowledge independently in solving assigned tasks. The examination consists of a written and oral part. If the student fails to apply the knowledge in practice, the examination will be graded as unsatisfactory.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to familiarise students with automation of a short-run and single-part production focusing on an application of numeric cntrol machine tools including technical production planning.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Students’ work is systematically controlled in a form of short written tests, individual compensatory assignments and result check.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. High Accuracy Machining Technologies
2. Surface Integrity in Machining
3. Machining of Difficult-to-Machine Materials, Machining of Progressive Technical Materials
4. Fundamentals of Linear Programming (LP)
5. Applications of LP in Manufacturing Technology – Graphical Solution of LP Tasks
6. Applications of LP in Manufacturing Technology – Numerical Solution of LP Tasks
7. Cutting Conditions for CNC Drilling
8. Cutting Conditions for CNC Turning
9. Automation of a Small Lot Production Process
10. HSC, HFM and HPM Technologies
11. Production and Machining of Parts with Extreme Dimensions (micro, macro)
12. Deep Drilling
13. Additive Technologies, Reverse Engineering
labs and studios
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Composition of technological procedure. 2.Composition of technological procedure. 3. Composition of technological procedure. 4. Optimalization choice of cutting conditions for turning operations. 5. Optimalization choice of cutting conditions for turning operations. 6. Optimalization choice of cutting conditions for drilling operations. 7. Optimalization choice of cutting conditions for drilling operations. 8.Operational program for CNC turning machine. 9. Operational program for CNC turning machine. 10. Operational program for CNC milling machine. 11. Operational program for CNC milling machine. 12. Tools condification. 13. Calculation of macine time, credit.